Install ngspice on Fedora

[root@fedora kicad]# dpkg --version
Debian ‘dpkg’ package management program version 1.21.9 (amd64).
This is free software; see the GNU General Public License version 2 or
later for copying conditions. There is NO warranty.
[root@fedora kicad]# sudo dnf search ngspice
created by dnf config-manager from https://down 510 B/s | 373 B 00:00
Errors during downloading metadata for repository ‘download.docker.com_linux_fedora_docke’:

• Status code: 404 for https://download.docker.com/linux/fedora/docke/repodata/repomd.xml (IP: 2600:9000:2017:ee00:3:db06:4200:93a1)
    Error: Failed to download metadata for repo ‘download.docker.com_linux_fedora_docke’: Cannot download repomd.xml: Cannot download repodata/repomd.xml: All mirrors were tried
    Ignoring repositories: download.docker.com_linux_fedora_docke
    Last metadata expiration check: 4:53:44 ago on Wed 02 Nov 2022 12:00:57 PM EET.
    ======================== Name Exactly Matched: ngspice =========================
    ngspice.x86_64 : A mixed level/signal circuit simulator
    ======================= Name & Summary Matched: ngspice ========================
    libngspice.i686 : Shared library version of ngspice
    libngspice.x86_64 : Shared library version of ngspice
    libngspice-devel.i686 : Development files for libngspice
    libngspice-devel.x86_64 : Development files for libngspice

I don’t know how to install these packages. I understood that the “ngspice” model is made by each semiconductor manufacturer in a different way. How do you enter the “spice codes” in KICAD?

‘’‘dpkg-query: package ‘libngspice0’ is not installed’’’
Haw install this ?

Please do not occupy an old thread. Open a new thread instead.

I do not understand your question. What is your operating system? What do you want to do? What did you do to get this output which you have shown?

Dpkg is a Debian distro family utility and would not be appropriate on Fedora. As Holger said, say what is it you’re trying to do, rather than attempt inappropriate instructions.

Thanks for the answer. I have Fedora and I wanted to load some ngspice libraries to see how the simulation tool works. I don’t know where these spice libraries are and I don’t know how to install them. Instead, I managed to load 3D libraries according to the instructions on the official website Kikad
Sorry, I won’t open this topic again

You can continue this thread, I split it off. Maybe someone who knows Fedora can say which Fedora packages to install.

To installl ngspice just do

sudo dnf install ngspice

(which should automatically install dependencies like libngspice as well)

The docker errors are unrelated, you seem to have some broken docker repos enabled.

Do not use dpkg on Fedora.

Unfortunately I have no experience in actually using ngspice, but for Fedora related problems I should be able to help.

libngspice is not a dependency to plain ngspice, but to KiCad.

libngspice is installed together with KiCad. However it may not be complete (code models are missing). So install plain ngspice in addition.

See here: Fedora KiCad/Eeschema/ngspice installation is incomplete

1 Like