Install KiCad on RedHat 6.10

I haven’t been very successful at getting KiCad installed on our RedHat system somewhat following the source directions or the KiCad for RHEL / CentOS? steps posted about installing it on Centos 6 here. Are there any instructions for installing this on RedHat 6.10 out there that someone has verified works?

RHEL/CentOS 6 uses really old libraries and other software because it has to not deviate from the original release for stability so you may find this a difficult ask. Try running it in a VM or perhaps a docker container (though that wasn’t officially supported until RHEL 7). Is there no way you can use a more recent distro? Work machine?

Sadly we can’t on this system as we have two other applications that aren’t supported on RHEL 7 yet. Right now the only trouble I am running into with the steps is this part with cmake.

cmake3 …/ -DwxWidgets_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE=/opt/wxWidgets-3.0.3/buildgtk/wx-config
– KiCad install dir: </usr/local>
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake3/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:148 (message):
Could NOT find OpenGL (missing: OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake3/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:388 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
/usr/share/cmake3/Modules/FindOpenGL.cmake:172 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
CMakeLists.txt:629 (find_package)

The problem is not cmake, it’s that you’re missing the development packages for OpenGL. You will need to install those. I’ve never attempted this build, but perhaps others have. And you may hit other showstoppers after getting past this hurdle.

I got that I needed OpenGL or need to find the location of it. If it is already installed. I hope it isn’t something I will need to build from source as well.

To be specific you need the devel package(s) which contain the include files needed to compile against. However it’s not called opengl. I think this page has the answer:

I got past that part finally. I now need cairo 1.12 or newer. Redhat 6.10 comes with 1.8.8.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.