Install kicad on debian

I have problems with the installation file sh :

step 5) checking out the documentation from launchpad repo…
bzr: ERROR: Unable to connect to target of bound branch BzrBranch7(file:///root/kicad_sources/kicad-doc.bzr/) => http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kicad-developers/kicad/doc/: Not a branch: “http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kicad-developers/kicad/doc/”.

how I can fix ?

I’d guess the that the text which makes you think there is a branch BzrBranch7 is outdated. Documentation is on trunk.

FWIW, here are my notes on how I built from sources on Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install git-bzr-ng
git bzr clone lp:kicad kicad # this downloads the repo
cd kicad

git bzr sync # this updates the repo

sudo apt-get install libwxgtk3.0-0 libglew-dev libcairo2-dev libbz2-dev \
                     doxygen libssl-dev \
                     libboost-dev libboost-thread-dev libboost-context-dev \
                     libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-iostreams-dev \
                     libboost-locale-dev libboost-program-options-dev

cd kicad
mkdir build
cd build
cmake \
  -DDOWNLOAD_DIR="${PWD}/cmake-downloads" \
  -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="$(dirname $(pwd))/install" \
  -DKICAD_SKIP_BOOST=ON \
  -DUSE_IMAGES_IN_MENUS=OFF \
  ../

make # this is sufficient after source changes

Edit: added a few missing bits.

negative gives me the same error

Hello lz2rpn,
have the same problem.

I have comment out line 302 to 311 kicad-install.sh
It is “step 5) checking out the documentation from launchpad repo…”
and also comment lines 351 to 357
“step 10) installing documentation…”

Now it compiles.

Hopefully it works. Later i take a look at documentation path and download it manualy.

Hubert DG7MGY

The docs on launchpad have been deprecated for a few months now but I’m surprised the script fails rather than pulling the deprecated docs - maybe some changes were made to the launchpad repository to ensure that people don’t accidentally pull in the old docs. Obviously the magic install script hasn’t been updated. I don’t know what the plans for that script are though, whether the script will be updated and supported or if the chief devs want to remove it from the project. Personally I favor updated instructions on how to build rather than maintaining an install script which attempts to work for a variety of systems, after all we want to encourage package maintainers to create install packages for their distributions and if people want to build the latest from the development branch they should really become more familiar with the tools.