Insert drawing in footprint editor

Hello,

I want to insert a drawing on F.Cu to connect same pad as below.

It’s possible to insert a drawing (arc in this). But, when I load to finished footprint to PCB Editor it showing two pads are not connected.

And Its hard to draw PCB paths near the drawing.

Your advices are very appreciated.

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

This is an auto-generated message that is in place on the “footprints” section of the KiCad.info forum. If I remove it and ask for a footprint to be designed anyway, I understand that I will be subject to forum members telling me to go design my own footprint or referring me to a 3rd party footprint site.

It is a bit unclear what you want. From the title I thought uou wanted to import a graphics file (Footprint Editor / File / Import / Graphics) but from your screenshot it looks like you just want to add an arc to your footprint.

Try this:

1. Select one of the pads.
  2. Press [Ctrl + e] twice (once to enter “Pad edit mode” and once to exit it again.
  3. Your graphics is now probably part of the pad.
  4. This likely results in a very big pin number. This can be “fixed” with a text box. (I don’t know the details for this).

If you want to do it properly, you may want to add aperture pads too (so the arc is kept under the solder mask, but I don’t know your intentions here.
If you want more help, it helps us if you create a little test project with this footprint, zip it up and post it here Such a file has much more info then a screenshot.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply

I want to connect two rectangular pad on F.Cu layer using a copper line. Actually that copper line should not be a part of the pad. I have attached the footprint library file below.
SSRBoardv2.1.kicad_mod (5.1 KB)

I was able to edit a pad using Ctrl + E. And was able to add arc to only one rectangular pad. But, It’s not possible to connect that edited pad to the other rectangular pad.

Actually, This arc line should not be a part of the pad. It’s just using for connect two separate pad as a PCB line. So, it should be covered by solder mask.

If it’s possible too make custom shaped pad, I think its the solution for me. Is there any way to make custom shaped pads.? I am using KiCAD 8.

I managed to make custom pad using pad editing mode. I used polygon tool and arc tool.
Thanks for your support.

So you rather want a track. In V7 (V6 I don’t know) you can have rounded tracks. As I heve never used them I can’t say exactly how to reach what you need but it should be possible. Try CTRL+/ while routing.

Does this mean your problem is solved now?

For this:

you can create aperture pads as I mentioned before. You first disable the solder mask layer for the complex pad itself (so everything is covered by solder mask) and then create aperture pads in the locations you want to create cutouts in the solder mask (and also enable the solder paste layer).