Input Power not driver by output power pins

Kicad v606

I have read this post.

However I have a question that has me wondering why the below symbol and an error on one of the grounds and not the other.

When I add the “power” flag to the ground there is no longer an error. I’ve never had to put a “power” flag on ground in the past. Is there a gotcha I’m not aware of?

BTW U1 grounds are a pin and a tab. Both are marked as “power input”

I gotta chuckle because there was another thread of a similar type thing where someone was complaining they only needed one. :wink: I don’t remember the exact context though.

One net, one flag?

EDIT: Now I remember. It had something to do with labels. I’m thinking the software checks for both ends so that when there was one label it kicked up two errors. One for each end even though the other end wasn’t specified.

PWR_FLAG symbols on GND nets are quite common. I find it hard to believe you have not encountered them before.

And also, ERC violations are only shown once for each violation by default:

Thank you for the clarification, I’ll be sure to use them in the future.

as for not encountering this situation before, I guess I’m either lucky or unlucky depending on one’s point of view :slight_smile:

You won’t get this error on the GND net if it’s driven by a pin of type power output e.g. a battery. More often than not it isn’t because power is coming from say a connector. When you instinctively know when to add the PWR_FLAG then you have arrived.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.