In Kicad 6.0.5. Does "Component Type" in "Footprint Properties -> Fabrication Attributes" affect layout design or actual manufacturing?

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

This is an auto-generated message that is in place on the “footprints” section of the KiCad.info forum. If I remove it and ask for a footprint to be designed anyway, I understand that I will be subject to forum members telling me to go design my own footprint or referring me to a 3rd party footprint site.

Hello everyone,

I just started designing with kicad6 and I would like to ask, in Kicad 6.0.5. Does “Component Type” in “Footprint Properties → Fabrication Attributes” affect layout design or actual manufacturing?
Because after I imported the model downloaded from “Ultra Librarian”, the default “Component Type” for one SMD component showed as “Through Hole”. Should I change it to SMD?

Also, if a component has properties for both through-hole and SMD, should I set the component type to through-hole?

Best regards,
Will

I would definetely change it to smd.

Smd components appear in the pick and place file for automated aasembly while tht don’t.
So the decision to set the property to smd or tht depends on whether it is going to be mounted with a pick and place machine or not.
For manual mounting it doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.