Importing a .kicad_pcb layout to my main pcb design

hi,

so i’m working on a pcb and inside this pcb i need to design an RFID antenna, so to design an RFID antenna is hard to make it and it should be tuned to determine the components,

so i managed to get a .kicad_pcb file format that inculde a layout of an RFID antenna with all the necessary components, bellow is a a screenshot of the RFID antenna.

i know the footprint of the components are a little bit messy because i import .kicad_pcb from a GERBER file, but i’ll fix it later.

i put the antenna .kicad_pcb file inside the project directory and i was able to open it from my kicad project.
but the problem is i can’t find any way to copy this layout to my main .kicad_pcb file where my main PCB is designed.

i tried to select the antenna + components and right click and select copy block, but it copy the block inside the same .kicad_pcb file, but i want to copy the layout to my main .kicad_pcb file.

is there any way to get this work ?

i was wondering if there is anyway to transform the .kicad_pcb to .kicad_mod and then i can include the .kicad_mod inside my main project as a footprint or silkscreen…
then i can take this footprint as a marker and retrace the antenna and place the components according to this .kicad_mod footprint.

waiting for your suggestions,

thx,

Also there are some posts/threads about people creating the pcb-antenna stuff as footprint parts that can be added to the layout.

1 Like

You can open your board with pcbnew standalone and then append the other board file.

4 Likes