Import DXF to PCBnew

So I’m trying to import a DXF file, but the import is only searching for .ses files. What do

Try switching between OpenGL and Default canvas modes and dxf should appear as a File - Import option

If I have legacy how would I switch? I tried looking under View in PCBnew

It sounds like you are selecting the Specctra importer and not the DXF importer. The canvas doesn’t matter for the DXF importer; it works both in Legacy and OpenGL canvas.

Piggybacking on cbernardo, it should look like this:

I did notice the last time I used it that it ignores curves and fills in dxf files, so you’ll need to explode the curved lines into small straight segments first.

I think this depends on the final use.
You can import ARCs into outlines and drawing layers ok, but there are some limitations on Flood and Copper areas I think, because DRC does not (currently) understand ARCs

It would be nice if KiCad did that ARC-> Polyline segments automatically, as finding a 2D CAD package that can do that is not so easy.

This is what I get

Whoa, what is that 2013 date tag in your top line ??
Try something a little bit newer ?

I tried to replicate this on 4.0.2 Win64 and was only offered the Specctra relate imports. Toggling canvases and dxf appeared as expected. There is a bug lurking somewhere.

Anyway, I think cds has to upgrade to 4.0.2 for us to help further

My June 19th Win64 build has DXF showing in all 3 Canvas choices ?
I did report one bug where kiCad will import ARC info from some DXF files, but not from one saved as R12, even tho other CAD pgms can ‘see’ arcs in the same R12 file.
CAD pgms like LibreCAD have a wide range of DXF save choices, so this is easy to avoid/work around.
LibreCAD also has a recent bug-fix to a regression around DXF read (lines as dots)

I did notice the last time I used it that it ignores curves and fills in dxf files, so you’ll need to explode the curved lines into small straight segments first.

Curves as PolyLines are supported and the support was back-ported to the release branch. If that hasn’t been part of the 4.0.2 release it will definitely be in 4.0.3. Fills are not supported and I don’t imagine they will be any time soon. I think Bezier curves are not supported yet, nor has there been much demand for them.

2 Likes

My 4.0.2 is the same now, even after clean restarts, but I did have the .ses option at one time before toggling the canvas.
I do hate hard to replicate bugs!

1 Like

That’s definitely a bug. Is there anyone using the nightly builds for Windows who can check if the bug exists there as well?

My June 19th Win64 build is so far ok, (I always see DXF choice, all views) but I’ll watch it over the next few days…

Thanks. I guess the bug may be one which hasn’t been fixed yet in the backports or it’s a Heisenbug.

Where do you find the latest version of KiCAD?

Depends on your operating system. More help can be found at the kicad download page:

The latest official release is reported on the KiCad site blog page https://kicad.org/post/
We are expecting 4.0.7 in the next few weeks

1 Like

thanks, I installed the latest version pcbnew 4.0.6 so that I can import DXF files and now the Open button has disappeared from PcbNew File menu?

What open button do you mean?

Dxf import is found under file->import->dxf (would suit the rest of this topic)

Opening a project is normally done via the main window (project manager)

It is possible to open a pcb file without a project. But for that you need to run pcb_new as standalone application. (If you do that more menu entries are “unlocked”.) I assume that a project file will be created if you open a pcb this way.

1 Like