Import/Create FootPrint DXF

Hi,

I got a special connector from a manufacturer and they gave me a DFX file that looks like a general drawing

I’m not sure that is what I really need to import in as a footprint ??
should I only take this part,

hide everything else in the drawing and import that as a foot print ?

as it’s supposed to be installed on the edge of the board and accessible outside an Hammond enclosure, I will need to be so damn sure about measurements and placement… how can I be sure… should I ask for a different drawing ?

I’ve already imported the internal mounting plate that Hammond offer to make my edge cut…
since the plate itself is slightly smaller than the enclosure ( so it fits inside ) how can I place it so i’m sure it on the right spot ?

also, if I do import the top view, in witch layer should it be ? maybe I should import it in the footprint editor instead … ? some will be attached to trace, some will be holes. some will be ‘out of bound’ of the edge cut… will that not throw errors ?
plus they added lines that are no use for me… should I remove them as well ?

What you really need are the XYD numbers, so I’d first import the DXF you have into FreeCAD or LibreCAD
and delete / flip as required, then when you have a minimal drawing, see how that imports into the footprint editor.
CAD pgms are better at ‘intersection of’ stuff than KiCad, so you might decide to create a footprint manually, and then copy/paste the XY Size numbers
If you make the origin the centre pin, most pins are sign-flip paired, simplifying your pastes more.

The flange shows well, so you should be able to place that.
If you are unsure of tolerances, you could always make slots for any screw mounting , then tighten the connector first, then screw down the mounting screws.

You can also create the footprint fully from within freecad using stepup: (Click the link or the arrow to read the full post. If you click the link you get to the full discussion which might also include useful information)

Sorry, I didn’t mentioned that I opened the drawing in FreeCAD and already have stepup extension installed.

drawing as like a damn lot of shapes… about 4116 lol.
once I made them all ‘hidden’ and selected only the part that I want…

all the steup tools are gray out… did it forgot a step ?

you need to separate out the parts that should be pads into another sketch. Give it the correct name and then you can export the footprint directly. (watch the video in the linked post and look at the example projects that come with stepup)

Hi @Guillaume_Boulay
please feel free to ask if you need more assistance with StepUp…
Would you mind to post the manufacturer model link / dxf?
Maurice

@maui,

Thanks so much. I always wanted to learn more about FreeCAD but I need more time… or less sleep :slight_smile:

I have this project I want to show a proof of concept and I need that connector to be included in it. I feel a bit overwhelmed.

Right now I have an ugly DFX file and a full CAD version. I’ve placed it here; http://arxtech.ca/download/

Looking at your video, I think maybe the file is ‘merged’ into one part… I can’t do the first part …’‘Part DN copy objet’’

Should I ask the manufacturer to get something different ?

I know the best would be to spend +/-20 hrs to ‘start’ mastering FreeCAD and be able to re-import my PCB into the hammond case drawing once I’m finished to be sure it fits. but I don’t have that time.

Hi @Guillaume_Boulay

the manufacturer is giving:

1. the 3D step model (public link here: 43-01197.zip )
  2. the pdf file with dimensions ( DRAWINGS/43-01197_e )
    with two you will be able to create your fp

(PS the dxf file is not scaled 1:1, so it is easier to work with the 3D model 1:1 and the drawings)

FC has a quite step learning curve, but when you start to be comfortable with its interface, it is very powerful and even fully script-able…

My suggestion:

1. import the step model
  2. import the drawing image and scale it accordingly (Image WB is doing it very precisely for you)
  3. create a sketch of the pads and outline, with the drawing image as canvas and the 3D model as feedbak
  4. export it as fp with StepUp

here a work in progress :wink:

2 Likes

ah! wow, thanks for the hint.

sorry for that but; what’s ‘Image WB’ I’ve looked in addon manager and tried file / import , can’t import a PDF file…
I come from very far behind… sorry :stuck_out_tongue:

1. from your pdf get a snip of the image where dimensions are indicated as png format
  2. use the Image WB to import the image as an Image plane
  3. use Image WB to scale the image to the correct dimensions

here a tutorial

2 Likes

That pluging manager that you have on the right… I can’t find it.
enabled all panels all option, got the image icons
but can’t find the scale tool…

I found https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_9HwDkwxllq5lFGkYBIH9g
to start with… do you have any other suggestions for FreeCAD for beginner crash course ?

Hi,
I’m on FC 0.18 which has some improvements… btw Image WB is present also on FC0.17.
The Import Image as Plane is the second icon
iwb-fc017

For scaling in FC017 you need to run the Macro I linked above
(the file is at the bottom of the Image Scale doc page Scale Macro File)

… do you have any other suggestions for FreeCAD for beginner crash course ?

If you need help, the FC forum is very active in giving solutions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks !! Each time I’ve asked questions here, everyone is really friendly and do extra effort into helping others :slight_smile: I really appreciate it !! more questions to come !!! if only days could be 36hours and weeks be 12 days lol

2 Likes

Almost there !

used the scale on two axis, but looks like I did something wrong, the pins looks smaller than the drawing.

I’ve used 24 and 15 as guide lines;

any ideas ?

1 Like

pins are always smaller than the hole… this is fine then…

align the image plane to the reference axis (i.e. having pin 5 centered on the zero of the axis changing the placement of the image plane).
Only after that start to create the sketches for pads and silks.

1 Like

your previous screen shot seams more like similar size of the pins… mine looks way bigger.

just a bit more centered, same bigger size I think.

1 Like

got it. doing the alignment with pin 5 did the trick ! :grin:

now getting to the drawing of sketch, silk and pads… back to youtube :stuck_out_tongue:

an easy trick for F_Silks :wink:
EDIT:
NB F_Silks_0.16 is the reserved name