Implement overlapping NPTH holes for a continuous hole cut

Hi All,

Would like to draw on experience and advise if it is possible to have NPT Holes overlapping each other to form any specific desired hole cuts on a board. Am working with an VAC 240 type solution in a cramped space and am trying to observe Creep clearances as best as possible given the design physical constraints. Have laid NPTH holes of various lengths, oval shaped and they overlap each other on one end forming a cut hole across the board. 3D Renders show up fine but am getting Pad too close to Pad DRC errors. Would like to get the DRC resolved if possible so that the project is “complete” and “correct”.

Have looked through the manual and tried forum postings but have not come across any topic with the similar problem I face. Would like some advice if this is possible at all. Am still using KiCAD 4.0.7 mainly because I started the project sometime back with it and did not want to incur a change until I had finished it.

Thank you very much.
Chris S.

Not many, if any, of us have a copy of 4.0.7 to check. In general you can configure clearances of pads and set things in the DRC. I’m not sure if you can set clearances to negative. Bottom line, live with DRC errors. When you finalize the design I’d think about printing them out, if possible, and crossing off anything you are willing to accept to make sure you don’t miss something else. The DRC is just a tool to help check the design. You are the ultimate decision maker. Don’t get caught up in worrying if the DRC is perfect.

Why do you use overlapping holes and not a simple cut out? Just draw on the Edge.Cuts layer where you want your slot and that’s it.

I agree. It is also what a fabricator prefers. He can decide whether to rout or nibble the slot. If his input is overlapping holes, he first must convert this to a slot, even if he nibbles, because the nibble parameters in fabrication will be different than the one in the design.

But it could be that 4.07 didn’t handle cut outs in 3D viewer yet. Don’t remember exactly when this feature was implemented.

Edge cut layer can do this.
As long as each contour is closed.
An extreme example …

But even so 3D viewer is the same kind of tool like DRC - you are not forced to use it. I had done openings in PCBs designing them with a program having no 3D viewer.

1 Like

The manufacture was successful. A corporate Xmas card.
But it took three design iterations to get all tbe electrical connections correct.

If your project is done slowly you should (in my humble opinion) spend some extra time to move it to V5. If in any time in future (when V6 or V7 will be current) you will wont to get back to it it will be easier if it will be V5 compatible and not V4.
Several years ago when I didn’t know that I can use Edge.Cuts lines inside my PCB and I needed the holes touching the PCB border I just placed the holes so they were partially out of my board and PCB manufacturer asking no questions just did it. I suppose KiCad DRC would complain on it.

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your insight as well as the thing about the Edge Cuts. It never dawn on me even after reading the manual (or perhaps I have been slacking by skimming through) that the Edge Cuts were for that sort of application.

Indeed i should move on up to v5 and not get caught in the past when KiCAD moves on.

Thank you all again for your insight. Am most appreciative for all the replies :slightly_smiling_face:

chrissoyza .

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.