Ignore net connections by component

Hey all, I’m having trouble finding this in the forum, but I think it might be that I’m not sure what to search, so I’m sorry for any redundancy. I have a sense resistor with a four pad (Kelvin connection) layout. The DRC complains that the pads aren’t connected, but obviously they shouldn’t be, they are connected through the resistor. How do you flag this in KiCad? Thanks!

Modify the footprint to give it 4 connections with different pin numbers.

If your resistor has four pads, then the schematic symbols should also have 4 pins. Simple and straight forward.

Alternatively, you could work with net-ties to split of the sense lines at the resistor pads itself, but if your resistor has 4 pads, the first solution is more logical.

I grabbed the symbol and footprint from SnapEDA and the symbol keeps the pads on the same net, respectively, so I think they had the second solution in mind, but you are right that the first solution is more logical. Thanks!

Another advantage of this method is it gives the sense connections separate nets than what the resistor bridges. This allows you to beef up the trace widths of the sensed current path while keeping your sense lines narrow for easier routing.

If one person designs schematic and other PCB it is the simplest way to get wrong connections at PCB.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.