Identifying legacy Molex connector and footprint?

I’m creating an “adapter” board for the power supply a 30 year old music synthesizer. The original power supply used connectors that were known as “0.062 Molex” connectors. These may be known as “Molex type 1625” but I’m not sure. The 6 pin variety was in a 2x3 rectangle with one corner cut:

Can anyone point me towards a positive ID, sources, and footprints?

Pin size and spacing are the key points. Molex used both 0.062 and 0.095 inch diameter pins. Common spacing was 0.1" and maybe 0.125 if I recall correctly.

Measure the pin and the spacing.

1 Like

Here are the specs.
For the PCB mounted 6 male-pin connector shown in the photo above:

Housing outer dimensions: 19x15mm (0.75 x 0.59")
Housing inner dimensions: 17x12mm (0.67 x 0.472")
Pin spacing 5mm (.197")

Edit - I measured the pin diameter wrong — corrected:
Pin Diameter 2.3mm (0.09")

Is that within tolerance for what Molex calls " Standard .093" Pin and Socket Connectors"

As I look through the Kicad library for Molex, I don’t find any existing connectors with 5mm pin spacing, so I’m still not sure I’m on the right track.

FYI

Spent 12yrs as a connector design engr and manager for AMP (now Tyco) and JAE and have Patents on connectors (for Medical products) so, connector talk interests me… And, I often worked with Molex, Lemo, Takata… I love connectors!

Those red guys in the photo could be most any brand, we made many that look just like them - but, not the same…
I looked through my boxes of connectors but did not see 6 pin guys with similar latching.

Connectors are all about the Normal-Force between the contact surfaces, and a host of things will affect that good, consistent continuity.

If it were me, I’d consider making Pigtails with contacts on wire or replacing them.

A cheap, but useful approach is to put contact on wire and goop them-up with Hot-Glue - not a pro solution but, we often did it for quick testing (top one in photo…) Don’t melt the wire insulation!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.