I want to drill 2 holes in the SMD pad!

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

This is an auto-generated message that is in place on the “footprints” section of the KiCad.info forum. If I remove it and ask for a footprint to be designed anyway, I understand that I will be subject to forum members telling me to go design my own footprint or referring me to a 3rd party footprint site.

Hello, I am new to making pcb.
I want to drill a hole in the pad as shown in the photo below.

(The picture is poor… sorry…)
When I tried overlapping the through hole on the pad, there was a hole in the back of the pcb but not in the front.
When I put a through hole on the F.Mask, there was a hole, but there was no hole in the F.cu…
(I want to show you what I will make, but there is a limit on the number of photos…)
How can I drill a hole in F.cu??
(Grammar or words may be wrong or weird using a translator. And because it’s the first time to make a pcb, the terms may be wrong… Please understand… sorryT.T)

In standard KiCad library there are many footprints with pads with many holes.
For example look into “Package_QFP” library at any footprint with name ended with “…_ThermalVias”.
Just copy the method they are done.

I believe the confusion is because in the 3D view, it will fill the entire pad with solder paste by default.

Also, it is normal that there is no hole in the copper layer Gerber, the PCB is produced with filled circles of copper and then drilled.

Thank you for your reply, I saw the “Package_QFP” library you mentioned and got to know a little. Is it possible to fill the copper more meticulously?

Thank you for your reply, Do you mean you cover the copper, and finally make a hole over it?

The Idea is that you use multiple overlapping pads. Both SMD and THT (for the holes) and they all overlap and have the same pad number, so KiCad knows they belong together.

For PCB production you use the laminate covered with copper on both sides. You don’t need to cover anything with copper as at the beginning whole PCB is already covered with copper. What you need to do is to:

• make holes where you need,
  • metallize them,
  • make tracks by etching unnecessary copper,
  • put solder mask on it,
  • protect exposed copper with gold or hal
  • put silkscreen painting on it.

Hi NEwi,
Yes, it can be done using the customized pad option.
First, calculate the coordinates for the hole with respect to the center of the pad. Only one hole will be present in the custom pad. Decide which hole you want to take as a reference; the one on the right or the left. Now, design the pad with respect to the reference hole.

In this example, I have taken the hole in the fourth quadrant as a reference.

Now, place it accordingly and change the grid. I have designed it as per a 10-mil grid.
Next, take another pad and make it a through-hole rectangular pad. Select the hole size, click ‘OK,’ and place it over the previously created pad.

When you import this in your footprint, it will act as a single pad. Since both holes have the same pin numbers, the connections to both of them will also be the same.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.