[I SOLVED IT] Template for 500 Series rack mounted audio modules?

I disagree.

1. the original question was not clear.

“500 series” actually covers quite a few disciplines and the thing about google is it “learns” from your search habits.
The 1st result for search “500 series” for me is Amphenol 500 series connectors… 500Amp rated connector because almost all my google queries are associated with high power stuff.

Another great example is TI. If I search TI on my machine I reach texas Instruments etc… however… TI is also a singer…

CONTEXT is key here and the original query was void of such information.

1. harsh?

clarification was asked and a few posted jovial responses. no demeaning, no derogatory… general probing question, probing question because the original question was not clear. The 1st response from the OP could be viewed as the most harsh response here.

The OP asked for some information, people asked for clarification and the OP’s response to bring into question people’s ignorance.

Two people in this thread need to step back (yourself, @ianbell ) and ask themselves if asking for clarification is harsh. x-y problems are the bane of any support responses

2 Likes

I can understand that, and can understand why someone does that. But seeing the issue from the other side I can only repeat what I said: you can’t know in advance if some non-expert can give you good advice or not. Even though someone doesn’t know about audio design they may know how to find things for KiCad or if something already exists, just based on their generic knowledge plus this specific new information. But they may not be able to answer if the specific new information isn’t accurate enough.

Trust me, I know what I’m talking about. I’m quite curious person and I’m ready to do some work to find out things I don’t know yet. You just can’t tell from my answers what I knew in advance and what I just found out. In this specific case the information given in the original question/title wasn’t accurate enough to do the investigation.

This isn’t KiCad (or audio engineering) specific at all. It’s about asking a good question in any forum or medium.

1 Like

I mean, people made fun of the question, but ok.

Don’t worry. I will step back from dealing with you ever again :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are free to do that, but I don’t understand why you would do that. Did I insult someone here? (Not that I haven’t ever insulted anyone here, but in this case…)

The original post is edited so context may be lost. I know I searched when I saw the first post but was still unsure what they wanted. I almost, but didn’t post, a followup asking for more clarification. It seems as soon as I do that someone else who knows what the OP wants chimes in. :wink: My closest guess was some vague box which I wasn’t sure how they expected that to be translated into a PCB template.

Bottom line. The OP was OK with things and made the result available to others.

1 Like

I am certain that asking for clarification is not harsh. As usual when people are talking on line rather than face to face, it is not what they say but the way they say it that comes across as harsh. Part of the problem is there are no body language visual clues to help you decide if the person replying is simply joking, being sarcastic or making a deliberate put down. I often see replies, not directed at me, that make me cringe inwardly. In my view they are certainly insensitive. How hard is it to ask ‘Please can you calrify what you mean by xxxx so we can help you’?

Cheers

Ian

This thread is hanging by a thread. The OP got the help they asked for and has apparently moved on. To resurrect a thread for the sole purpose of impugning those that helped isn’t useful. As a mod I try and be hands off but have removed material that to me CLEARLY crossed a line. Trying to remove personality from every post is impossible. Unless you have some technical information to add to this thread, PLEASE, let’s move on.

2 Likes

Settings for the forum should change to: If a topic has a reply, original message should be prevented of changes, even from OP.
Many forums that I participate have that rule. Otherwise, point will be missed due to dited context.

@ChrisGammell would have to look into that. I’d say the main issue is people will edit the original to clarify if asked or include extra information. Sometimes they will even edit to include the solution so people don’t have to read anything more than the original post. That is especially useful in a long meandering thread. Doing a tight edit on the first post can be useful to people deciding if they want to even delve into the thread. Sometimes people regret others misinterpret their tone and want to change it. I wouldn’t want to prevent that myself.

At the end of the day this is a problem solving forum and people own their own posts.

3 Likes

You would be amazed how many titles are totally generic and vague, very inaccurate, spelt so badly that they will be missed by search etc

2 Likes

Many people around here (myself included) are not native English speakers, as such, their answers may appear “harsh”/“dry”/“too direct”/“sarcastic” when the intention was none as such and they are perfectly fine answers in their/our language their/our culture.

3 Likes

Exactly that, Shoe.
It’s very very common on Audio field refer us to Series 500, to indicate a specific PCB type.

However, I created it, and I’m happy with.

The original question was very clear to who is into the sector. Indeed this is more addressed to them
Although I should say that if you (and the other ones not aware) just search in Google with Printed Circuit Board 500 Series you find exactly what I meant. Doubtless what I meant.

And even with the title itself "Rack mounted audio modules series 500" you could find exactly that.

So:
if somebody didn’t know anything about: could easily find what I meant.
If somebody knew what I meant, could help

That’s it.

However: the module I’ve made. And I put here the template. Use it.

I did clearly declared EDIT and /EDIT to inform WHERE I edited the message and so, intuitively; what I added.

This was to clear out in a better way what people were asking.
To resuscitate arguments in this way with these excuses, is a no-go, no-sense.

[EDIT]
for the happiness of your liver, I edit also this :non-potable_water:And I edited also the main topic posting the solution, that was lost into the comments afterwards.

MOREOVER: to edit a message is very useful ALSO to correct misspellings, to make expressed concepts clearer etc.
We are in 20121, not more in 1921. :wink:

P.S. I did notice that on edited messages it appears also a yellowish/orangish pencil. Clicking it over, you get even the DIFF, so: what’s changed. THUS you don’t lose any context.
[/EDIT]

2 Likes

StackOverflow doesn’t work like that to give you an example for a large collection of mostly technical communities that come together online to help each other.
Even others can edit your stuff there to make it more accessible for late comers, changes in the subject or for clarification.

As for the OP… I don’t know if you can access it, but each post when being edited has got a little pen at it’s top right.
Click it and see older versions if you need to see the original post.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.