[I SOLVED IT] Template for 500 Series rack mounted audio modules?

Page 8 of the file dhlocker links to has more measurement information:

And the measurements do not match. Naibs picture has 4.5" for the height, while dhlockers picture has 4.4" for the height. Other measurements are also different.

Also: to my dissapointment this sort of measurement is not implemented in KiCad. When the measurements in KiCad V5.99 were updated I requested for this sort of measurement to be added, but it was rejected.

2 Likes

Excellent!
I’m at good point for the template. And I needed right this design, in order to verify the measures.
Today I will print it out and try to see it together with and EDA 306 connector I have to buy.
I ask myself why they didn’t included this on kiCAD.

What’s the reason to have refuse it?

That’s gorgeous! Thank you so much

Maybe no one else have tried to make a board compatible with this setup before. In other words, it sounds like you are the first.

I have not clue, because there are plenty of DIY kits on internet based on 500 Series.
I mean: if ever people they have the possibility to use it, and they build these kits, why do not give them the possibility to design circuits with this template?

However, I see there are mismatching into the measures as underlined by @paulvdh

The length (deepness) and height from the doc by @Naib differ from the ones from @dhlocker

Welcome to vendor lock-in :slight_smile: by not providing the specifications they have a monopoly in providing the equipment. What you will find is people would have reverse engineered it to provide card for their own rack equipment. It is possible that both are compatible or compatible with certain 500-series. It’s hard to produce a template for a market when the constraints are not available.

My advice… you must have a piece that fits your racking. take some key measurements and align to the two “specifications” shown and then settle on that as that reference material (AND ARCHIVE A COPY!!!). Get a simple single layer card made with no circuits on it, just the gold connector pads to check it aligns. Then commit to a full design once this is shown to align to your rack

oh and obligatory XKCD

2 Likes

Fully right. Now Im’ checking the part of the conector. Within next days I think I will be able to finish the template.
Then I will certainly put it available for any one wants to build circuits in this format :slight_smile:

1 Like

In practice the height does not seem critical, the racks commonly used do not have upper and lower card guides.

I think there are at least 3 “standards”;

1. The closed spec by API
  2. The “open source” (sic) spec by Radial Engineering
  3. Another spec by “GroupDIY 51X ALLIANCE” http://www.51xaudio.com/alliance/index.html which adds 2 extra connections but is otherwise similar

Given that some of the specs are proprietary, you might need to be careful how you do that. I don’t know how litigious the owners are likely to be. At least, I suggest avoid any reference to company names or trademarks.

Thank you for the advice.
I will not refer to any company or trademark. I will just say Series 500.
At the end no one can suit me because I use an EDA306 connector :slight_smile:
Today i bought one, I printed out the board on a cardboard paper, and it fits.
Now I asked to one person I got the news he has a lunchbox with a couple of modules, to give me the measures. He will do within this week.
The template on kiCAD in fact is done. I just want to be sure of a couple of measures.

P.S. May I post the template here or do you suggest another way/place?

Let’s hope so, but lawyers can file take down requests for the most bogus of reasons and publishers are obliged to remove the material until it is sorted out.

I think the best place to publish is github/gitlab.

1 Like

Right they can, in case I mention brands.
In fact any patent on that design expired. A patent cannot be more than 5 years and renewed 1 time. Or there were not so many clones of anything around the world :slight_smile: I mention, for example, things like microphone capsules like K47/49, K67 K87 etc … just to have an idea. The same for mic-body designs.

EDA “kinda” Structure exists since forever. It’s used in so many circumstances that are countless. With 15 bu also 18, 22 poles etc.

I wil certainly not dispatch it as Series 500 strictly but compatible.
Great. I really thank you everybody here for the help

I finished the project.
I was able, with the help of a friend, to get all the required measures, to print out on cardboard the template, and the measure it against the real PCB.
Everything corresponds.
Please here the link, in case you need as well for your projects:
https://github.com/tormyvancool/kiCAD_Series500_Compatible_Template

3 Likes

Man, I feel like people were pretty harsh responding to this question. 500 series is, indeed, the proper name for the format the OP is asking about. There’s pretty much no other way to ask this question and, if you don’t know what it is, you would likely not be of any help to the OP, anyway.

1 Like

I agree. Many members here are unsympathetic in their replies. They could easily get their point across without being so harsh. THat’s why I only look at the digest of this forum. It is very active but the signal to noise ration is poor. I much prefer the other Kicad forum https://groups.io/g/kicad-users/topics

The other place you could have asked the question and posted your results is at groupDIY.com. Lots of friendly 500 series DIYers there.

Cheers

Ian

I don’t agree. I just read this thread again quickly and didn’t see anything “pretty harsh”. It’s justified to ask for clarification. Also

isn’t true. There was a better way to ask that question and the title was even clarified afterwards. And there are people who are willing to do some quick research if they are given the right information in the beginning. People familiar with KiCad ecosystem may be able to know immediately if something exists or not, or they may be able to give useful hints for further research even when they themselves don’t know the area.

In short, if you suspect that the readers don’t know what you are asking about, clarify shortly and/or give some link. Maybe they will learn something new and maybe they can even help you.

1 Like

If you look at user statistics of:

then it’s peak was in 2014 and there is not much traffic for the last two years.

Site statistics for this forum are less detailed, more summarized:

Quantity does not equal quality, but I am of opinion that it’s quite a friendly bunch over here and I see quite a lot of responses of people who are happy with the answers they get.

Some may call it unsympathetic but I have to call it humour. Admittedly, awfully dry humour at times, but that is what I found attractive about this forum. I still remember @eelik’s reply to my “virgin” post. :slightly_smiling_face:

Twenty five odd years ago I tore myself free/kicked the habit/beat the eddiction, of internet “chat rooms” vowing “never again…too much wasted time”.

I discovered Kicad a couple of years ago when I retired. The idea being to “keep my hand in” my lifelong career. I found a wealth of information in this forum. I also found an interesting enough group of people to cause me to break my twenty-five year old vow.

I’m still not quite sure whether to condone or condemn comments considered in this community with regards to my relapse, but, mehhh, it is rare to not find something to chuckle about whenever I open this forum.

Cheers, all. :grin:

1 Like

If you type in 500 series in Google, the first results are what the OP is referring to, but people are saying he doesn’t know how to ask a question properly and that it’s obscure industry jargon. Seems harsh to me.

I, myself, found this thread looking for the same information he is looking for, so the search terms are correct.

There wasn’t anything in the original and title to make clear what is relevant and what is not. The results which I got weren’t clear enough. I don’t have time to read every top search result just to guess if that’s relevant or not. I tried back then but gave up. If the description “rack mounted audio modules” would have been there in the original title or question it would have been clear.

1 Like

I feel like the intent of the OP was to ask for advice from someone who already knows what it is, though. It’s a very common term in the audio field. So maybe you weren’t the target audience.

1 Like