I have a problem with freerouter

Hi There , I am using kicad on a MacBook Pro with macOS Catalina and my version of kicad is 5.1.4 , I have installed the latest java runtime environment and layoutEditor as well.

Still I have a problem with the file freerouting.jar…I seem to be doing eth right… from pcbnew I create a dsn file and I can even open it wihen I click on freerouting.jar and it actually does the routing… when I get a message telling me the routing has been completed I can export the file to kicad and see the result which is ok .

The problem is that the board is not showing in the freebooter app so basically I am working blind!! !
Screenshot 2020-03-24 at 13.59.42|690x431

When freerouter starts I cant even see the top menu, when I do click with the mouse the menu appears.

I have a second computer with the same configuration and etc works fine in that computer!!!

I am puzzled!! anyone can give me an answer ??

Sorry I’m using freeRouting on Linux so don’t have any experience with Mac. From what you say it sounds like a Mac specific problem. Or maybe it’s the very old JDK version that build used. Only thing I can suggest is to try the recent release from the maintainer who has taken on development of freeRouting. Be aware that the visual appearance will be different.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!!!

I followed the link you sent me and finally got it to work !!!

i found i had two different versions of java in my computer and maybe that was causing the problem. I deleted both then installed the new version of freerouting and i also installed the recommended version of java (java 11)and worked fine

I did try to download the version of freerouting that doesn’t need java but it wouldn’t work, when i tried to instal it i kept getting the message that the file is damaged and can’t be opened.

Glad you got it to work.

I think the version that “doesn’t need Java” includes all the needed objects so not dependent on the host system JDK. Anyway I only used the freeRouting jar from the distribution as I have a recent JDK on my system.

Let’s hope the developer makes more progress. The versions floating around were seriously out of date with JDKs.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.