I give up...How do you fill color of component bodies?

Spent the best part of half an hour and now just spinning my wheels trying to work out how to edit the body color of a component.

Just created a SOIC 16 part and there is no fill, some of the parts in the schematic from the standard library are filled others are not so I am trying to find out how to both fill the body of a component and or make it transparent? Just want to have the ability to have uniformity one way or the other.

All the searches here that mention it are on older versions of KiCad and in version 5.0 which I am using they no longer exist. Looked in the component editor, eeschema, it probably looking me square in the eyes but for the life of me I can’t find it.

Currently loosing more my hair and or what’s left is going greyer…neither of which I can afford! Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers…

2 Likes

Hey Fleetz,
in the component editor just rightclick the outline of your created part. I guess you created a rectangular shape. Just select “rectengular options” or something like this (I use the german version) or press “e” while your mouse is over the rectangular edge. There you can select “fill background” or something like this. This will make the filling inside look yellow as it does with the standard parts.

Best regards,
Vicodin.

7 Likes

Hi Vicodin,

Thanks for the reply. I tried all you suggested before posting and revisited it again just in case I have missed something. Doesn’t matter if I am in the Symbol Library Editor or Eeschema for the life of me I can’t see in option to allow filling in a symbol.

Are you using version 5?

Cheers,

Ian

1 Like

This is aviliable in symbol library editor. Keep in mind that you only have two colors available. Background and Forground (which is used for outline of the symbol) which are defined in schematics editor under names “Body” and “Body colour”

1 Like

Hi Fleetz,

yes I’m using version 5 and directly tried it before posting the answer. The only difference I made was reopening an existing part I made a few weeks ago which was still white in the background.

Doesn’t it look like in the picture below (except for the language)?

2 Likes

And for the English speaking international audience (In this case i show the fill settings of the arc as i did not really care what part of the symbol i use to showcase this):

1 Like

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for your input.

Finally got it, in my version you need to select the rectangle edge (as pointed out by Vicodin) then select Edit Rectangle Options which then bring up the window both Vicodin and Rene are showing and now I can select the fill option.

Thanks for your persistence.

Cheers,

Ian

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.