I am trying to create this amp in Kicad

I asked the author if he had done it in Kicad and he said yes. I am planning on ordering the PCB after I learn how to use Kicad and figure out what all this is doing. I have all of the schematic done except for the symbols for V1 and V2.
Also, I think that he did something to it so as to be able to run a simulation in LTspice to be able to simulate a frequency response.
The notes around V2 as to SINE(0{, etc are a mystery.
I expect that as I get further into kicad and ???, it will become clear. I am thinking that he was simulating an audio wave input.
So, does anyone know where to find the symbols for V1 and V2 ?

Thanks

I’m struggling to relate that to the picture which shows an LTSpice simulation, which is not KiCad. I admit I don’t understand the schematic either, so maybe I am not qualified to comment anyway :slight_smile:

An LM317 IC is a voltage regulator, not an amplifier, if you let us see the full diagram of the amplifier we may be able to help

1 Like

It’s unconventional to create an amp with a LM317, but apparently it can be done. I’m baffled by U2 though, the output goes nowhere?

I guess V1 is power supply and V2 is audio input, so in KiCad they would be suitable connectors like power jack, audio jack.

Disclaimer : I’m much more of a digital guy :slight_smile:

There is a tread on All about Circuits ( bite my tongue ), that started my project. The threads are posted below.
I am after a schematic to build a class a amp and this seemed simple enough for my skill level and according to the posters sounded pretty good.
I tried to down load the pictures of the 2 schematics but they became unreadable.

The original poster and his schematic is on page 1.
A few other posters commented, trying to improve it and the schematic on page 2, with the 2 LM317s, is one of them.
Page 1

Supposedly superior to original design:
Page 2
In a PM, I asked the poster of image 2 about what EDA software he used and he said Kicad.

As an aside, I am in the beginning stages of learning EDA so as to be able to build daughter boards for the Raspberry, etc.
I have tried EasyEDA also and it had that particular component design for V1 and V2. I hated using it.

Apologies for not being able to post the images

[quote=“bobc, post:4, topic:9470”]
. . . It’s unconventional to create an amp with a LM317, but apparently it can be done. I’m baffled by U2 though, the output goes nowhere? . . . [/quote]
Yeah, this is an abuse of the '317. Seed your search engine with “LM317 amplifier” and you’ll find a few dozen places where the circuit was posted and/or discussed. The whole idea brings to mind the classic comment about watching a circus bear walk on its hind legs: “The amazing thing is not that it’s done well, but that it can be done at all.”.

U2 is strapped as a constant current source, about 200 mA. This forces a minimum load on U1 throughout the output swing, making it a “Class A” amplifier.

The notation “SINE(0 {A} {F} )” sets simulation parameters for the simulated sinewave signal source V2. “0” is the DC offset of the sinusoid. “{A}” is the peak amplitude of the sinewave. LTSpice uses curly braces ( “{ }” ) to identify scripting variables. In this case, “A” is specified in the statement “.param a=200m” as 200 mV peak amplitude. (SPICE is also, generally, case-insensitive so “A” and “a” are the same variable. And beware . . . both “M” and “m” are abbreviations for “milli”, NEVER “mega”!) The “{F}” variable specifies the signal generator’s simulated frequency. In this case, the simulation will run twice - once for a frequency of 1KHz, and once with 10KHz. You see this in the statement “.step param F list 1K 10k”.

Although I am very much in favor of circuit simulation as a design tool when it is done properly, I would look carefully at simulation results for this circuit and verify them with some bench measurements. Whatever SPICE model you have for the LM317 is almost certainly intended to represent the device’s behavior as a voltage regulator, not as an amplifier. In particular I would be skeptical of any results related to either frequency response or waveform distortion until I confirm them with a lab measurement or two.

@Hextejas, I think you have a great idea about learning KiCAD by doing a simple project or two with an application you are interested in. This particular product impresses me as more of a novelty than a practical product. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of simple audio amplifiers documented on the web (CMoy, Rod Elliot, DIYAudio, Nelson Pass, HeadFi, etc, etc). I’d suggest that you select one of these projects that already has a proven, working, circuit board layout and see if you can replicate the layout, or perhaps reproduce it with minor changes. Along the way you may have occasion to ask why some aspect of that board was done in a certain way, and thereby learn from other people’s experience. Knowing you can use KiCAD to reproduce the work of recognized authorities in the field should give you the confidence to take on new, original, projects.

Dale

4 Likes

Wow Dale, that is quite a response, and thank you very much for the referrals to the other sites. I will go see what they have to offer. I know about, and have been to diyaudio but if I recall correctly, they didn’t have anything quite as simple as this one.
As an aside, while nosing around looking for something for the wife, I came across a box of 33 1/3 LPs. Hmmm says I, I need a turntable, pre amp, etc .
So my new project is to redo my audio cave with tube amps, pre amp, all done by hand in a steampunk style.
And kicad with a simple solid state amp is the beginning. A small step for a man. Hah, maybe I’ll just hang some tubes on a SS amp just for decoration. Nah.
I have seen some tube amp kits that are what I am looking for but big $$$.

“Gainclone” amps are probably the simplest part-count-wise, but they can be sensitive to PCB layout. And they’re Class AB, if that matters to you.

The “Amp Camp Amp” is a nice Class A discrete design that’s hard to mess up. A few more parts, but nothing too complicated.

1 Like

Thank you so much Jeff, I am off to take a look at the Amp Camp. And as I thought more about it, (who needs planning ? ), I realized that I will need a pre-amp. Hmmm, it will need a phono stage as well. I have a decent tuner plus a few or more integrated amps laying around just gathering dust. I will resurrect the tuner if I can find it.

Add to this good advice, that various makes of LM317 will behave very differently when used in unusual ways like this.

While strolling through DIYAudio from time to time over the years I have seen photos of some very creative implementations of tube gear. I think there’s even a separate category on their Forum for such pictures. My son had my old Dynaco amps (PAS-3 and Stereo 70) with him at college, prominently visible to draw attention.

Dale

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.