I am at my wits end trying to remove the URL from stock libraries when starting a schematic

How the hell do you remove the URL watermarks from library entries?! I am losing it over here and I can’t find anything even remotely approaching helpful anywhere on Google, YouTube, forums, etc.

I feel like an absolute idiot my blood is boiling

1 Like

One thing: Do not try to edit entries in the standard library. That will get over written whenever you update your KiCad version. Copy what you want to your own personal library, and edit whatever you want. I use my own personal libraries almost exclusively.

I think you could probably edit the standard library with a text editor because KiCad is open source. But I do not recommend that you go that route. As I say, your edits will be overwritten.

Not sure what you mean by a “watermark” in this context.

Right click on the offending words, select properties, untick “visible”

As Bob mentions, if you edit the wording (remove) it will just return with the next library upgrade.

Other option is to copy the footprint to a personal library and then you can modify anything you wish.

Where are you getting these library entries with “watermarks” from? Are they from KiCad libraries or commercial libraries?

Post a picture of what you’re seeing. You should be able to if you read some more topics on this forum. Or a moderator could promote you.

Would the “watermark” be the text with the datasheet URL? You can turn off the display of those. And fab layer text in PCB layouts won’t appear on the end product.

Tip: Select the “watermark” in the editor and see the layer it’s in from the info at the bottom of the screen.

Watermark is probably the wrong word but it was the first thing that came to mind.

They’re present on the KiCad libraries it recommends you add when you first start. I also deleted all of those libraries and they’re also present on the digikey set they offer which is less surprising.

Symbol editor isn’t letting me edit the entries as they’re read only

I can almost guarantee I’m missing something incredibly obvious about the whole situation so I apologize and thank you all for your patience.

Maybe:

1. Right click on the footprint and select “properties.”
  2. Unclick “show”…

I am showing KiCad 6.X

Ah, you don’t have to edit the symbol. You can just suppress the display of the field in the schematic editor. Here’s a section of my design with the 74HC595 IC and the datasheet field set to visible.

wm1

Now, I select the IC, type E to edit, and turn off visibility of the datasheet field.

and voila, the “watermark” is gone.

wm3

Normally I do not get the datasheet field when I place a component on the schematic. Not sure how you got yours turned on. Maybe someone else has insight on that.

1 Like

I think OP is writing about schematics.

Works the same for footprints and symbols.
The only difference is one is “show” and the other “visible”… just to keep us on our toes!

@BobZ One thing: Do not try to edit entries in the standard library. That will get over written whenever you update your KiCad version. Copy what you want to your own personal library, and edit whatever you want.

I also have a question: How am I supposed to delete broken links and link to a page on my PC if an update overwrites it?
Greetings

If you turn off the checkbox: Schematic Editor / View / [ ] Show Hidden Fields then they all go away.

As Bob writes, updates will only change Kicad official libraries, not personal libraries.

Ahh yes OK. I was hasty. That image sort of looked like a footprint… That is normally a good feature of a schematic symbol for a connector. But maybe I can twist things so that it sounds like a bad feature?? :slight_smile:

I don’t think this should happen unless the standard library is changed somehow.

You mean like if the datasheet URL is outdated? You normally cannot write to the system libraries and you shouldn’t. What you can do is copy the symbol to your personal library and fix the link there. And submit a bug report to the library repo.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.