How to update symbol in schematic?

Reported: https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1823050

I also added a note that it is strange that the field is imported as invisible by default.

534/5000
Dear Rene,

I would like to take the opportunity and make another consideration.
If necessary I can create another topic, but it seems to me that they are similar things.

I created a symbol in the Symbol Editor and set the position of the fields according to my needs.
Then when the symbol is added to Eeschema, the setting made in the Symbol Editor changes. In this case the alignment and field position are different from what I set up in the Symbol Editor.
Is that correct? Is there any way to keep as I did in Symbol Editor?

Attached are the project files.

Test_Project.7z (2.0 KB)

Symbol Editor

Symbol Editor

Eeschema

Fields are auto placed in kicad. Otherwise one would not be able to rotate or mirror parts (Only other option would be to be able to define all 8 or so different positions for fields. Which would be quite a bit of work for every symbol.)

This can however be turned of in the settings for eeschema: preferences->preferences->eeschema “automatically place fields”

Perfect.

Now it’s ok.
Thank you.

@Rene_Poschl I have done the same steps (I think) and I once again have the same problem, and this solution is not working on my design.

For several parts I have already, "Changed the Symbol in the Library to add the MPN field, deleted the Symbol present in the Schematic, then added the same library part back into the same Schematic.

ON EDIT: A few more snips from my side of the screen.

ON EDIT: I dorked up this post somehow, take II coming next.

What exactly is your problem here? What did you expect to happen vs what happened? What actions did you take? In what order?

I guess I made it less obvious than I thought, when I was trying to make it more obvious. DOH!

In the symbol on the left, assigned U3, it does not show the MPN field even though the “show” box is checked.

The schematic shows the exact same part, without annotation, and the MPN field displays as normal.

Every IC symbol in my schematic has the same quirk. The only way to get the MPN field to actually show is to delete the existing symbol and re-add the exact same symbol.

Aarrrgggghhhhh!!!
Well, I figured it out. Somehow those fields got placed OUTSIDE of the page drawing area.
here

At the moment I can not duplicate this, but before I took the screengrab, the text was NOT visible at all zoom levels. After I took the screengrab the text stopped it’s vanishing act.

Hi, I noticed, that when you change the description, it does not get updated, even when you update the fields.
Furthermore, I find it scary, that there seems to be no definite behaviour, e.g. when going to “edit->update fields from library” it doesn’t seem to work reliably. For some changes it does, but for others you have to open the properties of the symbol in your schematic and update manually, and then there is changes that you can’t seem to force at all (I think when description has changed, but I randomly run into this problem and have no exact “this happens when you do this” report by now.).
Can anyone make like a full description of what changes get updated into your schamatic by which action and which aren’t? I just can’t point my finger at something, and this makes it so scary, as you never know, if what you intended has actually happened (for me this is basically always make everything as I changed in my library). There could e.g. also be a dialoge that lists the changes which are about to be made.
Thanks,
Jay

Assuming you are talking about KiCad stable:

The description and keyword stuff is not stored anywhere in the schematic (there is no place for them in the file format). This means if you change either of them in the library then there is no need for the symbols to be updated in the schematic.

Plus this will all change in version 6 so really no need to make wishes about that at this point in time (version 5 is not allowed to get new features and anything regarding this behaviour will be obsolete in v6 as the new file format behaves differently)

1 Like

Ok thanks, I only noticed this as the BOM which was generated from my schematic had the same parts seperated, one with the old and two with the new description in the library. I had to delete and place the one “outlier” again then it worked. All three parts referenced the same library symbol. I used a external Bom-Script, in case this is relevant.

However, thanks for pointing out that the description is a library property, not forwarded to the schematic, I didn’t know that.

Originally everything in the dcm file was not part of the schematic. As the datasheet field is in both the .dcm and .lib file it was decided to use the dcm entry within the library and then copy that value into the schematic if the .lib entry is empty (current versions of kicad do not allow you to fill the .lib entry from the graphical interface)

And yes all of that is as you might guess there for legacy reasons.

Ok, I think I might have to read something about the different files again (I only did this at the beginning, when starting to setup my git, but forgot about it). I don’t know exactly what you mean, the flow of data is not clear to me in that depth.