How to tell the PCB DRC that the connector is in fact a wire?

Re: your GitLab issue.

You have two separate PCBs so should really have two separate projects . . . if you really don’t want to do that then simply have 3.3V 3.3V-1 and GND GND1 (or some similar naming convention) that will keep the PCBs apart.

(I just read up the thread and see something similar has already been suggested . . . I don’t see any issue here, 2 PCBs = 2 Projects or do a work around to bend KiCad to you will)

What now is ‘by default’ can, may be changed in future and can be useful for some users.

One my design has two PCBs. One is module (uC + Flash + EEPROM + RTC) standing vertically at the other.
I can’t count how many times I’ve changed the order of signals on the 40-pin connector. I would have nothing against if KiCad could control that I didn’t made mistake during it.

1 Like

I respectfully disagree. The original use case (which was simplified to illustrate the point) is one circuit divided over several planes. It is simulated and checked by the electrical design rule checker as one circuit as well. And, there is not only power, but a lot more lines are connected over the hierarchical sheets by connectors as well. As said before, for any issue there is a hack to solve it, that is not the point. You could even use Gimp to draw the PCB. In my post I put forward a situation I encountered many times now over the eight years I use KiCad.

If it turns out I am the only one in this situation, great, nothing to see in this theater. Otherwise, my use case and the improvements it may lead to for KiCad could be beneficial to others as well.

In your first post you said . . .

So it is actually two PCBs . . .

But OK, you want to make two PCBs in one to save cost, I can understand that, couldn’t you simply make a footprint containing both connectors and have two pad 1s and two pad 2s ? I’m pretty sure pads with the same number are linked.

I think the idea of a user layer with wires has merit. However, when you guys make a feature request make it as easy as possible to do. Dont overload it with all kinds of goals. just say for example

• Make it possible to have conductive wires on user layers.

or

• Make it possible to mark copper layer as non fabrication layer.

This makes removes the burden of the developer and is much more actionable.

TBH, I think this feature request should be put at the bottom of the pile.
All the tools are present right now to do this - all it takes is assigning wires to a user layer, and then just unchecking a box when it’s time to output Gerbers.
Spending developer time to make KiCad into some fetish hobbyist ancient PCB duplication program is misdirected energy.

I am unable to draw wires on user layers, how do you do that?

Anyway the issue is that if the file is shared by people. Thing that non hobbyists do then there might be a mistake. Just allowing me to tag layers as non outputting would solve that. And this is a really trivial change as far as development is concerned.

No comment on priority. Priority is decided by the people who do the work.

No comment on usefulness. People either find features useful or not. Does not means that if you find a thing useless that you could have gained something that you do find useful with same resources.

1 Like

From experience, that statement is usually incorrect. What can seem like trivial changes on the face of it can be very involved, or have wider consequences, than appear on a superficial inspection.

Yes, two PCB’s, but one project.

Indeed, I place the two PCB’s together since it is cheaper and quicker to produce. Cheaper because my manufacturer has a fixed setup cost per project. Quicker because I do not have to go through all the menu’s and numerous production settings twice.

Well, I have tried this, but encountered some hurdles.

• For my example a footprint is needed with four pads (two pad with number 1 and two with number 2. The symbol must now contain two units, one for each connector. So far so good, you can place each unit on a separate sheet.
  • On the PCB you now have one footprint, and you must move two pads from the designed location to the actual location, the footprint is ripped apart so to say. See Image.
  • After the connections are made, the errors remain. The pads with equal numbers seem to be seen the same net (which was already the case, due to the power symbols), but are now forced to be interconnected. (Was that not the point of issue #15999 ?)

Most likely I made a wrong turn somewhere. This is possible since I moved over from KiCad 5 directly to KiCad 8 only recently. Surely you have tested this suggestion before you made it. How should I proceed?

Why not draw your schematic as A below is drawn?

It is obvious how the two parts are connected.
B, I think, shows how how a chasis mounted pot is connected to a circuit. The only difference between A & B being J4 & RV1 are “exclude from board” in their properties.
A gives a two board layout as below ( green lines are the ratlines):

ksnip_20241004-125642

Yes i have noticed that your codebase is a bit too tightly coupled. The signs are all over the forum and codebase.

Anyway, you are saying adding metadata to a layer is a complicated effort. That may be, but shouldn’t.