How to switch from one sheet schematic to hierarchy schematic

When I started my schematic project I didn’t see a need for more than one sheet, so I proceeded to work on a B size sheet. Now my schematic has grown and I need to add another sheet. I tried to find a way to add a second sheet without creating a hierarchical arrangement and cannot seem to do this. I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to add a second sheet to the project without creating a hierarchical arrangement? If so how?
  2. Is it possible to create a root sheet “after the fact”? i.e. If above is not possible, how to I add a root sheet and make my existing sheet a sub-sheet?

Thanks in advance!

Sadly no.

Yes:
Step 1: close the schematic editor (if it is still open.)
Step 2: rename the sheet to something that makes sense for you. (currently it should be named .sch)
Step 3: open the schematic editor.
Step 3.1: You will be promoted that .sch does not exist. And asked if you want to create it. Choose Yes.
Step 4: In the now empty sheet create a hierarchical sheet with file name equal to the name you have given your original sheet.
Step 4.1: You will be asked if you want to create a sheet with the content of this file. Again choose yes.
Step 5: Create a second hirachical sheet, this time give it some other file name

By the way you can do all this from within the project manager.
Renaming can be done by right clicking the schematic sheet.

2 Likes