How to start this PCB route?

In this situationon the 1rst png, I key X, then I try to click on “GND” and I get the second png
I expected a route to start from the GND, but I do not succedd to start it. What do I miss ?

Thanks for any help.

PC

Your min clearance setting is too tight/small . . . so the pads for this component are too close together, I suspect this is preventing the Interactive routing from working, hence the pad turning green, adjust your clearances or change to a bigger component footprint.

2 Likes

Oh thank you very much, I get it : I was blocked since many hours…

1 Like

If you really need to use such a small footprint with a thicker trace, try to route a thinner trace from the component for a very short distance first - just enough to make the proper clearance for the thicker trace - then continue routing with the thicker trace.

Thank you very much, I am nearly sure that I do not need so much security. But…
I have done as you say.

What size is the footprint, and what is the width of the track?

Even a narrow 0.2mm wide track can already handle 700mA. (KiCad has a built in calculator in the project manager for such things) As a result, the width of signal tracks is mostly determined by what the PCB manufacturer can make. 0.25mm is a pretty “safe” value that nearly any PCB manufacturer can make reliably.

Standard width of Silkscreen text is 0.15mm and that would make your tracks around 0.5mm and that is probably much wider than it needs to be.

When visually comparing your screenshot with KiCad’s library, it looks like an R_0201_0603Metric (or capacitor of the same size). These are extremely small parts and normally these are only used in very high density PCB’s. If you are a beginner with electronics, I recommend that you use 0805 sizes or bigger for resistors, but certainly do not go smaller then 0603. For such small sizes most people need a microscope to be able to solder them.

Thank you. yes, I am a beginner, and I shall follow your avices.

While routing keep in mind the max/min width limits. Max width limit is determined by the size and type of component footprint. Min width is listed in the manufacturer’s capability section. Here are some routing tips.

0805 SMD resistors are marked with value codes. Most, but not all, 0603 have codes too. 0402 and 0201 do not have markings, this makes beginner hand assembly harder, so avoid if possible.

Thank you very much.

If the lack of markings is the worst problem you have hand-assembling 0201 components, you have steadier hands than I do!

The “problem” is that it’s easy to zoom in on a layout in CAD software, which gives a false sense of size. It’s only when you try to place these things on a PCB that you realize how tiny some packages are.

Here’s a SOT-363 in the shadow of an 8-pin DIP:

I’ve heard that some people can solder these things by hand. I don’t even bother; I use solder paste, and either hot air or an electric skillet.

To place larger components I use an illuminated magnifying lens. For the tiny stuff I have a x8 stereoscopic microscope. After several projects I’ve gotten pretty good at placing 0603 components by hand. I can place 0402 sizes, but only use them where really necessary, and have to restrict my caffeine intake when placing them.

All that to say it’s a good idea to use the “big stuff” when you’re doing your first few boards.

Thnkn you, I am a beginner, and I understand that I shall not solder myself but ask a professional provider…

Oh you can totally solder by yourself. It’s fun :slight_smile:
Just don’t use the smallest components you can find right away any you’re fine.

1 Like