How to specify PTH in footprint?

Hello Everyone,
Can you advise how do I specify PTH in KiCAD? Would that be on the footprints?
I’m trying to get JLC to make some boards but they need me to specify the PTHs on the files send to them.
I’m very very new to this, and in fact this is my first project :slight_smile:
Many thanks in advance.
RF

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

This is an auto-generated message that is in place on the “footprints” section of the KiCad.info forum. If I remove it and ask for a footprint to be designed anyway, I understand that I will be subject to forum members telling me to go design my own footprint or referring me to a 3rd party footprint site.

Are these plated through holes for through hole components?

Hi, yes all through hole components.

Hi @radio_free,

OK, they are through hole components, but did you want the holes plated?

Yes, the idea is to have the through holes plated as well.

The footprints that are available in the library already contain pads with PTHs and they will appear in the PTH drill file.

But how do I know, and be certain that they (those in the footprints) are PTHs?
Are there any special markings for PTHs or are PTHs the standard?

You can open the footprint in the footprint editor, select the pad, and examine its properties. Here a screenshot of the properties dialog box of a diode pad. Notice the dropdown for Pad type.

In general for most components it just works.

Many thanks for your input.

I know about the pad type and I have chosen all to be through-hole, but I’m just not certain is they will come out to be plated through-hole or not…

If the pad is on both/all copper layers, it will be plated to be on the same net.

Many thanks for your input and advice. I’ll have to check all the footprint to make sure of that.

Through hole pads are by default plated. To have non plated holes, the “pad type” in the properties dialogue box (posted by @retiredfeline above) needs to be changed - as far as I know, one pad at a time.

The number of plated and non plated holes can be checked in the drill file. See File / Fabrication Outputs / Drill File at the top of Pcbnew.

While generating Drill Files (File-Fabrication Outputs-Drill (.drl) File or button at down-right corner in Plot (File-Plot…) window) uncheck the “PTH and NPTH in single file” option and you will get two files - one with PTH and one with NPTH and everything should be clear.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.