How to specify paths to footprint labraries

So I am setting up my standard parts and I’m looking to link all symbols to the relevant footprints.

I thought that the way to do this was specify the path and if i wanted to use a shorthand to the main location with: ${my_location}

but looking at an existing symbol I see: Oscillator:Oscillator_SMD_Abracon_ABLNO

What does this mean? is “Oscillator:” the footprint library and “Oscillator_SMD_Abracon_ABLNO” the footprint within it? what is the difference between this and ${my_location}

Some symbols do have footprints assigned. If you look at the symbol after opening an edit window you should be able to see if this is the case. @Rene_Poschl has put a lot of effort into explaining the library options in detail if you look at the FAQ.

Yes, I’m talking about how the syntax works. And no I have been looking in the documentation. Where is the FAQ?

You mean here: Library management in KiCad version 5 ?

so the bit before the colon is the nickname which is the same as the footprint library folder name? so as long as the footpring library is loaded I can just use it’s name instead of the full path? (with path variables)

The nickname is usually the same as the folder name, but it doesn’t have to be.

You must use the nickname, you cannot use a path.

ok, well that is news to me. luckily I am right at the start so no harm done so far. So were would I change the nickname if it were to be different? the footprint library is just a folder so nowhere to store properties like a nickname?

In the Preferences / Manage FP libraries table

so kicad holds the nicknames in a seperate table and should I remove a footprint library and then put it back it would loose that nickname. The folder name is good enough.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.