How to specify a footprint for a switch that solders to PCB traces?

I have a small DPDT slide switch whose contacts will straddle the edge of the PCB, and three contacts will solder to traces on the top copper layer, and three will solder to traces on the bottom copper layer. So I need a three dimensional footprint. Is this possible in KiCad? In the footprint editor can I lay down pads on the back Cu layer, and then select the front Cu layer and put pads on that?

Yes you can create pads on both sides for footprints, also seperate silkscreen, masks, etc, just select SMD pad, and tick the relevent layers, B./F.

1 Like

Have look at the footprints for card edge connectors.
I (ab)use these sometimes to solder IDC headers around the edges for a board with a lower height profile.

Thank you for your replies. As a newcomer to computer-assisted board layout, I find KiCad really impressive. The last time I laid out significant boards was in 1983 by hand on wirewrap boards (as it happens with edge connectors) that plugged into a backplane. Should have thought of edge connector footprints. I finished one PCB design yesterday and submitted it for manufacturing, and jumped into this second one. Getting my neurons working is as valuable as the electrons to the right place.

Wanted to post a follow up - I made it more complicated than necessary, since the two poles of the switch are connected in parallel (power switch), and it is being used as DPST with two contacts not connected. I made 4 pads first - then realized the switch needs to be placed with some amount of error, which led me to realize I only needed two large pads, one on each layer (the switch poles do not straddle the edge, but rather are at 90 degrees to it). KiCad is amazing - finishing up my second board this evening. I appreciate the courteous help - this forum is an awesome resource.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.