How to select a footprint directly?

Hello,
Is it possible to activate a mode that allows you to directly select a footprint after clicking on it? I can move components quickly, I need to hide print layers and fabrication as well as component values. The problem, however, is that if I hit the pad, it moves only with the pad and not the whole footprint.

I remember that there was an icon for this purpose in the KiCAD 4 toolbar.

I use KiCAD 6 night build.

Hover over a footprint and press ‘m’ for move.

Another way I like is to have both schematic and PCB open (or print schematic on a dead tree for reference), press ‘t’ in Pcbnew and type the Refdes of the component you want to move.

1 Like

I use both methods, but I do not like that if I do not have hidden references and values, sometimes when I press M moves only references.

Alternatively, if I click on the footprint and press M, sometimes I only activate the reference or even just the pad, which makes it impractical for me to move quickly with components.

I would like to be able to click or place the cursor on anything that belongs to the footprint and have the ability to move with the footprint.

Scheme cooperation is a great feature, especially when a person has hidden component references. Unfortunately, however, it is not yet possible to select the whole group of objects in the scheme and transfer the selection to the board.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.