How to see Bus connection hints on PCB editor

Hello,

I am new in KiCad, started using today.

KiCad shows the connection hints when we use Update PCB from Schematic, e.g., which pins of an element is connected with which pin of another element with a thin line.

This also works if I use hierarchical sheet, but only if hierarchical label is a single pin.

The dummy schematic, how it looks like when I update PCB from schematics and the definition of Bus inside hierarchical sheet is combined into one image:

As you can see, 3rd pins of RN1 and RN2 are shown as connected. Similarly, RN1.4 is connected to UntitledSheet (U2’s) out (Pin 3).

However, although 2nd Pins of RN1 and RN2 show ADC0.IN0 and ADC1.INC7 respectively, they are not connected to U1 (Pin 16) or U2 (Pin 9).

According to hierarchical design, outer prefix does not need to match inner prefix, but shouldn’t this work? I cannot also connect these pins manually, since they - according to PCB - should not touch each other.

Am I doing something wrong?

This might be a bus-renaming bug or limitation. Can you post the project?

Sure. Here it is:

Test.zip (168.6 KB)

Ah, the issue is that in the child sheet, you’ve named the bus ADC{IN[0..7]}, but you’ve called the nets attached to the ADC pins IN0, IN1, etc. Rename these to ADC.IN0, ADC.IN1, etc and it’ll work fine.

BTW, those “hints” are called the “ratsnest” or sometimes “ratlines.”

Thanks, indeed this was the problem!

And yes, “ratsnest”. Saw in the documentation, but forgot to update the description later. Thanks!