How to resize a symbol?

Hi,
Is it possible to change the size of a symbol ?
In the library or on a sheet ?

Not that I know of without creating a new symbol. For some components there are normal and small sized variants, e.g. R and R_SMALL.

There are two types of symbols that I can think of in the context of sizing. Elecrical symbols and Logo (graphical only) symbols. IMHO scaling electrical symbols is a bad idea (at least with all KiCad up to and including v5.x.x) because if pin ends aren’t on the grid then it is nearly impossible to connect wires to the pins. Scaling logos would be very useful so I wouldn’t need to have every possible size logo in my library, I would only need one size of each logo and I would scale it appropriately when used.

Unfortunately, KiCad doesn’t differentiate between electrical and logo symbols so at this stage allowing KiCad to scale symbols would cause more problems than it would solve.

I drew a symbol and when I inserted it in a sheet, it was too large: that was the sense of my question.

What is your intention?
What sort of symbol?
A screenshot may help…

At the moment the pins in schematic symbols in Eeschema are very dependent for exact matches between pin locations and wire connections.
They must line up perfectly, and have currently no snap, so lining them up if they are not on the grid will be extremely annoying.

Your best option is probably to edit your symbol in the library editor to make it smaller, or use a bigger sheet in Eeschemal.

I did it ! but sometimes the symbol is too large and I am obliged to delete it and create another one. That was the sense of my question: adapt the size.
The conclusion is that is not possible.

I have made most of my own symbols. I will usually start with an existing symbol and “Save Copy As”. Be sure to save it in the correct folder for your own symbols. When I edit the symbol I often reduce the pin length to save space in the schematic. By starting with an existing symbol and using a 0.05 inch grid for pin placement, etc. you have some guidance as to relative size. Pin spacing for me is usually 0.05 or 0.10 inches. The default text size in Eeschema seems to be 0.05 inches but I usually reduce that to 0.03 inches.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.