How to replace a part/symbol?

I have a project with a completed schematic and layout. I’d like to replace a FET with a BJT (same TO-92 package). I know I can remove the FET and add a BJT in the schematic, but this messes up the layout. Is there a way to replace the device in the schematic without changing the layout?

The only other thing I have to change is add a base resistor, which will end somewhere else anyway, so I’d like to learn how to replace a symbol without changing the layout.

Hover over the symbol in the schematic and type E, which will get you the Symbol Properties dialog. In the middle of the left-hand column in a section titled “Library Symbol” there is a Change button.

(That’s from my 5.0 build. The names may be a little different in 4.0.7, but the same function is there somewhere.)

Cheers,
Jeff.

5 Likes

Awesome, thank you! That’s exactly what I was looking for.

Just a quick note to mention that the pin numbers matter.

Can you share the two part numbers?

The file is text based. If doing a lot of them it may be easier to do it with a text editor or a script.

In 4.0.7, it looks like the section is “Chip Name” and the button is “Select”.

(The 5.0 names definitely make more sense to me.)

In this case, the pins matched perfectly. I already botched the BJT and base resistor into a test PCB, so that’s why I wondered how to replace it in the schematic without removing and re-routing…

Thanks everyone for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.