I’m reading the docs about bus unfolding. I’m using this KiCad version:

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 8.0.1-8.0.1-0~ubuntu23.10.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.4
	FreeType 2.13.1
	HarfBuzz 8.0.1
	FontConfig 2.14.2
	libcurl/8.2.1 OpenSSL/3.0.10 zlib/1.2.13 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.5.5 libidn2/2.3.4 libpsl/0.21.2 (+libidn2/2.3.3) libssh/0.10.5/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.55.1 librtmp/2.3 OpenLDAP/2.6.6

Platform: Ubuntu 23.10, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, X11, ubuntu, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Mar 14 2024 15:11:40
	wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.74.0
	OCC: 7.6.3
	Curl: 8.2.1
	ngspice: 42
	Compiler: GCC 13.2.0 with C++ ABI 1018

Build settings:

I drew a bus line, then I placed a label with this syntax: I2C{SCL,SDA}:

Hence, I’m expecting to unfold two signals from the bus: I2C.SCL and I2C.SDA. But pressing C or right-clicking on “Unfold from bus” leads to “No bus members”:

Am I doing it wrong?

Ok, I figured it out: I had to move and position again the label at the same place. Not sure why, but the first time it didn’t “bind” to the bus.

A slightly off-topic, but still related question: how do you address bus labels in a hierarchical sheet? It seems clumsy to me:

immagine

The bus label is needed to properly load its signals (in the image I defined an alias).
The signals labels are needed to connect the wires to the bus.
The hierarchical label is needed to expose those signals to other sheets.

But in a small area the same information are repeated multiple times.

Is there a way to hide the bus/wire labels? I didn’t find anything related in the label’s property.
Such a schematic does not look good to me…

Sorry for the ‘hijack’, but I just wanted to leave a brief comment on a marginally related annoyance regarding unfolding from a bus…

On v7.0.10 (macOS), I notice when I unfold from a bus, the cursor immediately shoots down to the bottom left corner, dragging the unfolded connection with it…!

Has this behavior been noticed by anyone else? (yes, I know v8 is out, just haven’t gotten around to upgrading yet)

I posted an example with routing a bus though the hierarchy in the topic below.