How to make capacitor and resistors to be updated from the library

HI
i had changed capacitor and resistor symbol in local library, and placed it into project file.
And placed changed design into eeschema - all works.

Then i had increased designator and value font, and supposed to make “update from library” and select all fields, and in Eeschema nothing font changed. But function itself works, because it changed designator number C1==>C, so the update was happened, just font doesn’t changing.

And to exclude the situation, that i tryed update from unchanged library, i just had placed the fresh symbols near the “changed” symbols. They has des. and value font bigger, so it was properly lib.

Please, explain me how to properly use this function “update from library”
and how to make multuple changing of similar symbols (as in altium, for example)?
(because there was changed C1 only , while C2…5 are didn’t )

capacitor_update

the resistors has same - designator R2==>R, font didn’t changed, while placed symbol has bigger font size.resisitor_update

My assumption is to not change symbols in library. On the way to establish all parameters to be used by me in future my way was to delete all -cache.lib, or -rescue.lib files to left KiCad the only source in libraries. I know it is doing against the program :slight_smile:
I’m not sure if updating all parameters from library is possible - didn’t searched for it.
As it is told in KiCad V6 the cache will be integrated in schematic file. I hope the program will allow to force to replace symbol in cache with symbol from library.

1 Like

i mean that i had made special separate library, it’s name is 123456.lib. So they didn’t from cash, i think - if i directly prompted the 123456.lib? (but, i has find that was my mistake - need to set option “reset text size and font”

And what will be your way, if you will need to change the value for all 52 capacitors or any other multiply editing, (font or smth. else) please?

Sorry. Don’t know the correct answer for your question. I’m not enough skilled in KiCad and having done only 3 or 4 PCBs with KiCad I didn’t got in such problem yet.

My first solution was to avoid such situation regarding the font, font size and so on by deciding it while experimenting with schematic with 3 capacitors and not 52.

KiCad world is a world of programmers. Many people here (not me) to do such tasks just write a simple python script and modify the schematic text file themselves. I don’t know python. I don’t know (never needed it) of multiply editing in KiCad schematic.
My way of working (long time ago decided when working in Protel) is to have a symbol for each element. So if I have to change 1k to 1k2 I have to delete the resistor and place the new one (that way not only the symbol changes but also its description to be used in BOM). I have never had to change so many elements at once.
Writing that I suddenly started to think - may be it is time to change my assumption as may be the reasons for it are gone - I am adding the description later (previously based on name, in KiCad based on name and footprint) so what is better:

• to place R_06 (for 0603) and then change its name for resistor value, or
  • to select the right value at once from library.

I’m not sure.

Fields are not cached. They are part of the schematic file format. Deleting cache would not help here at all and I generally advice against it anyway.

A bit of reading material for anyone unsure about what the cache does: What are the cache and rescue libs and how does the schematic rescue dialog work? (KiCad version 5.x and earlier)

1 Like

I don’t know the schematic file format. Fields means their values or everything. Font, font size are in schematic file?

They must be otherwise you could not change them individually.

there are many reasons to change something or multiply changing, for example in Altium there are such a possibility to change all designators in schematic which has new roman 12 font ==> Sans Serif 8.

So, i’d just like to know does this function (multiply object finding and changing) exist or i just haven’t find it?

Thanx.

I just didn’t remembered that when you open the Edit window for element at schematic you can set it individually. I don’t remember when I opened that window last time. It had to be long time ago. I don’t need that window in normal work. Ever.
By the way it is true that global editions in my old Protel 3 were a very simple task and in KiCad it looks they are just not present. Not a problem for me as I practically don’t need it.

To change the font parameters for existing symbols during symbol update, there’s an optional “Reset field text sizes and styles”. By default, original text properties are preserved.

2 Likes

generally i’d like to find multiply properties changing.

upd:

I think, that u needn’t to do it, because it is auto created by the system, so it will be refreshed just after you will have 2 remove it.

You have the option to edit library references in the Tools menu, and replace multiple symbols of particular type with different ones.

i have find, that only one symbol at a time was changed when i had updating the symbol. (if i have similar items)

Which menu are u mean, please more detail, i had started 2 study KiCad 3 days only.

Tools > Edit Symbols Library References in EESCHEMA

1 Like

Yes. But that way I can be sure that (after my modifications in library) no old symbols were preserved in schematic (I ended with some [?] symbols at schematic and needed to update them). The new files were of course created once more but with correct symbols (like I wont) and not the old ones in them.
But it was my doings when I was making my decisions how my libraries in KiCad will look like. When that process was finished and I don’t assume any changes to already defined elements that I have no such needs any more.

I would suggest to look through all FAQs here even I didn’t did that myself :slight_smile:
I started from printing all documentation pdfs and it was mistake as they were (not sure how now) really not compatible with current version. But I found there some basic information which helped me to get general overlook of KiCad concepts and for example to know how to install new KiCad version
to make it knowing nothing about previous instalation. I have KiCad at two computers. At one with ‘my’ configuration for working and at one with ‘default’ configuration used if I wont to check something before reporting a bug.

About reporting a bugs - it is one of big advantages of KiCad that you have influence on it and if you find a real problem it will be probably quickly fixed.
Few days ago I have noticed rather not important problem - the bitmap I used in frame definition file in schematic was deformed when exporting schematic to SVG (I use SVG to put pictures to LibreOffice Writer documentation of PCBs). I reported a bug. Very shortly some of developers make a note that this bug will be corrected in 5.1.7 (5.1.6 is close to release, and bug is not important). 4 hours later someone else wrote that he just corrected that bug, and then its destination was changed from 5.1.7 to 5.1.6. I don’t exactly know how such fixes propagate to release (I have never worked in any programmers group) but probably if I get current pre 5.1.6 version then it will have that bug fixed.

By the way.
There are some important bugs in 5.1.5. You can notice one of them when you will start routing. Because of it I recently moved from 5.1.5 to pre 5.1.6. 5.1.6 is expected to be released in 2…3 weeks.

Thanx, i saw it and think that it’s useless for a while. I tried to change few capacitors values, but can’t do anything - this tab even don’t have the “save” options.

This dialog is for exchanging symbols. So if you have fully specified symbols then it is useful for your suggested task.

For changing the value use the edit symbol fields tool also found in the tool menu.

1 Like

thanx, but it’s not the same possibilities as “find similar objects” function in some CAD.

by the way:

i regular find that all symbols becomes ?? (mainly after update some symbol -i know, that i can repair it from lib one by one, but what is the reason of such artefact?)
is it bug or just i make something wrong?lost_symbol

If restarting eeschema does not fix it den it is not a bug but you did something wrong with the cache lib. (see linked FAQ above)

restarting eeschema fix it, of coarse, but the last changing can be lost, and i’d like to know what’s the reason.
I never change something in cash.lib -because i think, that is system created lib, so - i have my own 123456.lib, where i have edit standard symbols from standard KicAD lib.
I read the FAQ, just this questions becomes after i had pressed “update from library” - so i’m in doubt, why.