How to make a modular workflow?

I use a lot of hierarchical sheets in my PCB designs, and I’d like to associate a default PCB layout with those sheets. pcbnew already groups components together that belong to the same hierarchical sheet, but I’d like a way to have intra-sheet traces, etc. already laid out as well, effectively making multiple “modules” that are easier/better/proven to layout on the board. Is there a good way to do this? Sarkari Result Pnr Status

Currently there is no good way to do this.

I am considering making an action plugin to support his workflow, but it will not be available before summer.

1 Like

If you open Pcbnew in “standalone” mode you can open and add PCB’s from different projects into one file. This is sometimes used as a hack to make panels with different PCB’s, but can also be used to import the components / tracks / board outline of a pcb as a “module”.

Pcbnew is opened in standalone mode if you start it directly from a command line window or from your operating system’s menu. (That is, not from the KiCad project manager).

It turns out it was way easier to do than I thought initially. Once it clicked that this is basically just replicate layout but across different files it was quite easy though. Anyhow you might want to take a look at Save/Restore layout action plugin.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.