How to Keep Pro file clean and neat,

What are the source files Required for Schematic and PCB Layout, like( .pro,.sch. .lib),

Here is a list of the different file extensions used by KiCad.

The .pro is the project file, and is used for per-project settings.

.sch is the schematic, and -cache.lib can be considered part of the schematic. (It stores the symbols used in the schematic.)

.kicad_pcb is the PCB. The file fp-lib-table is used to keep settings about the search path for footprints, so it can be considered to go along with the PCB.

If you have your own library of schematic symbols, they would be in .lib and .dcm files. If you have your own footprints, they would be in .pretty directories.

Not sure if that answers your question, and I’m not quite sure what you meant by the title of the post.

My initial impression is the file list you see with the project manager? Open a clean new project and see what you have and then open programs. Basically anything that shows up should be there unless you inadvertently put something there. Check out file paths. You may get an option to save some things in different directories if I remember correctly.

.cache.bak, cache.bck,.rescue, .cache.dcm these are the files with pro files,

Be careful that the Project Manager does not list every schematic file in a hierarchy to reduce clutter.

And don’t edit your “*.pro” file unless you know what you are doing. I think this topic title is misleading.

1 Like

As long as each project has its own folder I wouldn’t worry to much about the file list in that folder.

1 Like

Another thought is to “Archive” the Project; it should include all the files needed.

One note on the archive process is that it includes any .pdf files that are in the same project directory.