How to integrate protected 3D models?

Hi,

is there a recommendation how to handle protected 3D models?

In our school we use some parts from Keystone. They don’t provide 3D models for download, you have to request a download key, to get a STEP file. The design should be published on Github, to be used by all our students.

In my sense of understanding this would be free advertisement, but some lawyers could have an other opinion.

Any comments or recommendations?

Greets, Karl

About law I am the last person who should say anything.
Do you really have to use 3D models?
I am designing electronic devices since 30 years and I have never needed 3D models of my PCBs. I sow 3D view of my PCB first time when I started to use KiCad (2 years ago). Now I design 3D models for all elements I use (if there are no such model with KiCad) just to add ‘funny view’ of my PCB to documentation but I think it is lost of time.
If it is a problem of only some parts - why not define your own (probably simplified) models of those parts just to avoid any law questions.

2 Likes

Also IANAL, but if the agreement between the Keystone and you is that the redistribution is not allowed, you are pretty much screwed. You could take a model and substitute it with a cube or a cylinder and you could share this.

A middle way (probably in the grey area legally) is to put the design in the private repo where only selected individual(s) has/have access to. This might not count as redistribution.

1 Like

Well, Keystone doesn’t actually state any kind of license in the download. The download key is just a wank to get them sales data on who is trying to use what and to have sales people harass you in the process.

You can’t use a private repo to use at your school?

Teach your students about the philosophy behind FOSS, and also educate them about the ways companies like Keystone are harassing their customers to extort profit from them in some kind of way.

If so, you are not legally allowed to distribute it. By default the copyright law (laws of most countries) give exclusive rights to the copyright owner and the owner must state the exceptions. Private use is of course always allowed if you have a legal copy. (IANAL.)

Have you tried to contact them for clarification for your particular usage requirements?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.