How to install new version over old

Hi all,

I have been running v6.0.0.RC1 have made custom symbols projects etc.
Have a new project to do and would like to upgrade to v 6.0.8/9 what is the preferred method to do so - download new version and just over install following prompts?

Thanks

Yes, you are fine as along as you didnā€™t edit any libraries inside C:\Program Files\KiCad\6.0
If you kept all your stuff outside that folder, then itā€™ll all work fine.

Thanks marekr.

Ah!!! might have a problem then - I have tweaked, added libraries and made custom libraries etc and not been particularly careful with my ā€˜housekeepingā€™.

Would you mind adding a little more details/specifics to your answer

Thanks
Doc

One way to solve your conundrum is to go to Kicadā€™s Preferences ā†’ Configure paths ā€¦ and see where your sym, foot, and 3d libraries are located. Mine are in C:\Program Files\KiCad\6.0\share\kicad\ on the Windows machine.
Copy folders ā€˜symbolsā€™, ā€˜footprintsā€™, and ā€˜3dmodelsā€™ (and any others that youā€™ve changed) somewhere safe, then do the upgrade to 6.0.8/9. That way you saved them from being overwritten during the upgrade.
If you want to continue with your way of ā€˜housekeepingā€™ :wink: copy your backed up folders back to where they were - but I would suggest you keep them in your Documents folder and change the paths to those instead of messing with default libraries. Disclaimer: Iā€™m not an expert. Someone else may have a better idea.

Iā€™d say first make a backup of those libraries, then install the new ones, and use a program such as meldmerge to have a look at the differences, and then move your modified footprints to some personal library.

1 Like

Hi @Docara

This means: If you modified Kicad supplied libraries, there will be problems. If you moved kicad libraries/symbols/footprints into personal libraries before modifying and saving, all will be well.

If stuff is changed and saved back into Kicad supplied libraries, each time you upgrade your Kicad version, the new upgrade will remove those changes.
Kicad will not change Personal Libraries with upgrades.

If you did change stuff in the Kicad libraries, and you wish to keep those changed items, follow @paulvdh advice.

Thanks everyone for all your replies.

Yeah, letā€™s move on from my (crappy) housekeeping - I was young!! :grin: And yes, I should do something about it.
Anyway thereā€™s been good information posted to help

Do we have a customised install option where I could deselect the libraries being installed?

That depends on your operating system.

On my Linux box, KiCad is divided into several separate packages (The program itself, libraries, 3D-models, documentation and more) and although they can be installed separately, by just selecting ā€œkicadā€ to install, it installs the most used parts. Iā€™m not familar with other types of computers / OSā€™es.

paul@cezanne:~$ apt search kicad
i   kicad                                     - Electronic schematic and PCB design software        
p   kicad-common                              - Old common files used by kicad - Transitional Packag
p   kicad-dbg                                 - Debug symbols for kicad                             
i A kicad-demos                               - Common files used by kicad                          
p   kicad-doc-ca                              - Kicad help files (Catalan)                          
p   kicad-doc-de                              - Kicad help files (German)                           
i A kicad-doc-en                              - Kicad help files (English)                          
p   kicad-doc-es                              - Kicad help files (Spanish)                          
p   kicad-doc-fr                              - Kicad help files (French)                           
p   kicad-doc-id                              - Kicad help files (Indonesian)                       
p   kicad-doc-it                              - Kicad help files (Italian)                          
p   kicad-doc-ja                              - Kicad help files (Japanese)                         
p   kicad-doc-pl                              - Kicad help files (Polish)                           
p   kicad-doc-ru                              - Kicad help files (Russian)                          
p   kicad-doc-zh                              - Kicad help files (Chinese)                          
i A kicad-footprints                          - Kicad footprints (modules)                          
p   kicad-its-files                           - Its file used to build KiCad on old distros         
i A kicad-libraries                           - KiCad meta-package for deps to all libraries        
p   kicad-locale-bg                           - Bulgarian locale for KiCad                          
p   kicad-locale-ca                           - Catalan locale for KiCad                            
p   kicad-locale-cs                           - Czech locale for KiCad                              
p   kicad-locale-de                           - German locale for KiCad                             
p   kicad-locale-el                           - Greek locale for KiCad                              
p   kicad-locale-es                           - Spanish locale for KiCad                            
p   kicad-locale-fi                           - Finnish locale for KiCad                            
p   kicad-locale-fr                           - French locale for KiCad                             
p   kicad-locale-hu                           - Hungarian locale for KiCad                          
p   kicad-locale-it                           - Italian locale for KiCad                            
p   kicad-locale-ja                           - Japanese locale for KiCad                           
p   kicad-locale-ko                           - Korean locale for KiCad                             
p   kicad-locale-lt                           - Lithuanian locale for KiCad                         
p   kicad-locale-nl                           - Netherlands locale for KiCad                        
p   kicad-locale-pl                           - Polish locale for KiCad                             
p   kicad-locale-pt                           - Portuguese locale for KiCad                         
p   kicad-locale-ru                           - Russian locale for KiCad                            
p   kicad-locale-sk                           - Slovak locale for KiCad                             
p   kicad-locale-sl                           - Slovenina locale for KiCad                          
p   kicad-locale-sv                           - Swedish locale for KiCad                            
p   kicad-locale-zh                           - Chinese locale for KiCad                            
i   kicad-nightly                             - Electronic schematic and PCB design software        
p   kicad-nightly-dbg                         - Debug symbols for kicad                             
i   kicad-nightly-demos                       - Kicad demo projects                                 
i   kicad-nightly-footprints                  - Kicad footprints (modules)                          
i A kicad-nightly-libraries                   - KiCad meta-package for deps to all libraries        
i A kicad-nightly-packages3d                  - Kicad packages3d (3d models for footprints)         
i A kicad-nightly-symbols                     - Kicad symbols (schematic)                           
i A kicad-nightly-templates                   - Kicad templates                                     
i A kicad-packages3d                          - Kicad packages3d (3d models for footprints)         
i A kicad-symbols                             - Kicad symbols (schematic)                           
i A kicad-templates                           - Kicad templates                                     
p   libglm-kicad-dev                          - C++ library for OpenGL GLSL type-based mathematics  
p   libglm-kicad-doc                          - documentation for the OpenGL Mathematics (GLM) libra
p   libngspice-kicad                          - Library (shared) for ngspice. Used by kicad         
p   libngspice-kicad-doc                      - Doc for library (shared) for ngspice. Used by kicad 

Thanks Paul - I was being lazy and dropped in a quick question as I was already posting here.
Obvious answer is to try the install and look for myself.

(Oh! Windows by the way)
D

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.