How to handle banana sockets?

I’m at a bit of a loss here. I’m designing a PCB that needs two holes in it (electrically connected) to accommodate banana sockets.

In my schematic I have two separate CONN_01X01's wired up. But I’m not sure which footprint to use for them. AFAIK the banana sockets require a 4mm round hole.

Thanks!

I take it you have the part in question in your hand. Take measurements & make your own footprint! It’s quite simple to do.

As a matter of fact, I don’t have the part at hand. :slight_smile: Doing some light PCB designing while on vacation :sunny:

Anyway, I know they’re 4mm from the datasheet.

I’m looking at how to properly setup my own components and footprints libraries, so when I’ve that set up, I can design my own footprint. (Also need to make one for a 3-pad SMD solder jumper).

@madworm what device are you showing there? I’m working on a constant current load myself ATM.

Huzza! I found Divers:douille_4mm, where douille is French for socket. Yay!

Also: https://github.com/ariejan/ariejan.pretty/tree/master for my own footprint library :metal:

Hi @ariejan On a PCB I just sent off to be made I’ve used the standard footprint 1pin and edited the properties in pcbnew rather than using a part-specific one. You can overtype the drill size to >4mm, and extend the pad size out (I used 8mm) by pressing E for edit while selecting Pad 1.

A dummy load as well :slight_smile: Nothing special though.

Cool! Care to share? Mine is basically a re-implementation of Re:Load V2, using the same schematics, with some tweaks and swapping the LM2936 out for a more old fashioned LM317. Should be good to go with the components I picked up to 6A at least, but I’ve limited it to 3A because 0-2A is all I need anyway.

The MOSFETs + Schottky diode are probably overkill & the control loop is probably not the best as well. I never really checked for stability & step-response etc. using a scope. However it does work as a constant current lead-acid “charger” quite well.

Cool, but I also found in ‘divers’ the 2PIN_6mm, which is actually 2 banana sockets properly spaced :smile:

2 Likes

Hello , please what’s the name of the footprint ? thank you

@Salma

This thread is eight years old. Please start a new thread for current information to do with Kicad.