How to find what each layer was set to

Sometimes when I open an old KiCad project which has maybe six or eight layers, how do I know what each layer is from within KiCad ?
For example, I might had them as follows: Layer 1 = signal, layer 2 = 3.3V, layer 3 = GND, layer 4 = 5V, layer 5 = GND, layer 6 = signal etc.
Right now, I just write note on external file, but I am wondering if there is an easier way.
I am using version 7.0.9.
Thanks.

You can rename layers in: PCB Editor / File / Board Setup / Board Stackup / Board Editor Layers

1 Like

That worked.
Thank You.

1 Like

That’s good to know, but it’s better to click on the “Solution” button instead.
For a simple and short topic like this it does not matter much, but for longer threads it helps other who are searching the forum for answers to find what they want quicker. It’s good to make a habit out of this.

1 Like

Giving “likes” for posts and solutions is also well received :slightly_smiling_face:

ksnip_20231226-121015

1 Like

Layers are not “set” to any net. It is what you used them for. It’s a good idea to have some text somewhere or a note file in the project. Stackup details like layer dielectric thickness and copper weight are not always obvious a few years later.

I was not aware of the “solution” button.
I Just clicked it!

1 Like

IIRC renaming the layers will also change the gerber filenames, but if you are producing x2 gerber files it shouldn’t matter since the layer assignment is recorded in metadata at the top of the file.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.