How to extend a wire to connect to a pad

Hi,

I am trying to modify a layout where I have to extend a bottom layer wire to connect to a pad. When I am trying to do so, the wire is not attaching to pad. I am also getting err16: two tracks too close. What could be the problem? I had to replace the footprint of a connector and re-route the wires. Since I am new to KiCAD (just two days old!), pls. consider giving me step by step instructions on the topic.

Thanks,
Arvind Gupta.

Has the pad you try connecting to the correct netname?
(Press e while your mouse is on top of the pad. Make sure you open the pad properties not the footprint properties.)

Look in any other pad that is already connected to your trace. (What is different.)

1 Like

That is almost certainly the problem here. The Error Message tells you that the track coming off the connector pin has no net assigned to it. From one perspective you can say KiCAD is doing too much to prevent you from doing something stupid, but in general the trace router does not permit electrical connections between traces (or pads) unless the net names have an EXACT match.

Dale

1 Like

Yes… that was the problem. I had not named the pads of the connector. Did that and was able to compete the routing. A few small things to finish up.

1. How do I insert gnd plane in the vacant areas (marked with white boxes)
  2. How do I insert text (to be printed on top surface of PCB) on the layout.
  3. Can I generate BOM from layout? If so the procedure pls. Was interested in getting the board made from Inseeed fusion.

Thanks,
Arvind Gupta.

I think this thread solved your specific problem. In short normal zones do not fill if no pad is connected to them. I seem to remember that there is a setting that enables this zone to fill but i’m not sure.

In the right tool bar there is a “T” (below the arc and above the measurement)

File->fabrication output->BOM (I never tried that myself.)

1 Like

[quote=“garvind25, post:4, topic:6683”]
. . . . How do I insert gnd plane in the vacant areas (marked with white boxes) . . . . [/quote]
It appears that your fill zone for the ground plane calls for rather large clearances. Try reducing the clearance to, say, 0.6mm or 0.8mm, re-fill the zone, and decide whether the results are acceptable.

(It may also help to reduce the minimum copper width in the fill zone to, say, 0.3mm or 0.4mm.)

It will probably be necessary to re-route the trace running from (U1, Pin 14) around the left-hand edge of the board. Re-position it to leave more space between the trace and the edge of the board. (Try for 2 - 3 mm.)

Make the “F.SilkS” layer active and use the graphic text tool.

See the KiCAD “Help” files, and search this Forum.

Dale

Late question, but do you have the whole project or just the layout?
You should modify the SCHEMATIC and work from there (export/import netlist, yada yada) and not do this in the LAYOUT alone.

He has but the project was designed in pre 4.x kicad and there where problems porting it. (The old footprints no longer exist, …)

1 Like