How to design a pcb for card edge socket?

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

This is an auto-generated message that is in place on the “footprints” section of the KiCad.info forum. If I remove it and ask for a footprint to be designed anyway, I understand that I will be subject to forum members telling me to go design my own footprint or referring me to a 3rd party footprint site.

Hello, I want to design a pcb which will be plugged into a card edge socket. The pcb should like the one below.

I have never done such design before. It seems that the footprint design flow will be different from the normal one. Because the footprint should be placed in the exact position on the pcb and the pcb should have precise dimension.

Could someone provide a tutorial?

It will require some homework but, this can get you started

Thank you. The tutorial is very useful.

FYI…

You can Import a DXF into the Footprint Editor - that would eliminate editing the .mod and moving lines to edge-cuts layer…

My tutorial on making Cutouts for Kicad’s PCB will get you there (same process).
But, any drawing/CAD program that exports/saves DXF will work.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.