How to delete a break?

When two segments forming a break are selected, it should be possible to delete this break.

I can’t find a way to do so, except by deleting both segments and re-routing the track.

Do I miss something ?

Application: kicad
Version: (6.0.0-rc1-dev-1691-g44cb979e9), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 32 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.68.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.61.1
Compiler: GCC 7.3.0 with C++ ABI 1011

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I have achieved it by dragging one of the segments until it is perfectly aligned to the other one. I must say pcbnew helped a lot, as it would have known I wanted to merge the segments.

There is stil the Edit->Clean tracks and vias -> Merge overlapping segments tool, of course.

Just remember to select “Smooth dragged segments” in Interactive Router Settings.

I have not used KiCad much lately, but from what I remember you can very easily use the push and shove of the interactive Router to do this for you.

With the proper settings you can take the outermost of a bunch of tracks and push it into some other track, and this way you can remove multiple cinks from tracks in a single mouse sweep.
You can also drag the kinks out of traces one by one, but shoving them around a bit with the Interactive Router is much more effective.

The Interactive Router is a wonderful feature of KiCad, and you can use it for a bunch of different routing tasks. Play a bit with it’s settings and learn how to make the most use of them in different situations.

Tidying up those traces is also mostly a waste of time. The electrons really don’t care about a few sharp corners, their mass is very low :slight_smile:
But still this seems almost impossible to unlearn. Humans have an eye for tidyness and neat rows ( Even though these are bad for capacitive coupling between traces).
Sometimes it seems to be easyer to move the slanted parts to the sides instead of moving the horizontal or vertical parts.

I think he meant two segments that were already in the same straight line, with a break in between. Moving one of the segments and aligning it again merges both segments in only one.

Really ? Actually, I can’t achieve that. The break is still there (I can see it very clearly by using the outline display option). Currently, the only way is to use the Edit / Clear tracks and vias dialog.

I’m not totally dumb, you know…

Actually, the idea is that if two segments are aligned but a break is still in place between them, and if I move/ drag this track later, the break will make the dragging in two parts (one for each segment). Tedious.

Yes. Have you selected “Smooth dragged segments” in Interactive Router Settings as @eelik pointed out?

Yes it is selected. The two segments gets perfectly aligned, but the break doesn’t disappear. It’s still there.

So I can only tell you to keep trying. I also use the outline mode to see the break.

It looks like it’s not very consistent. It works under some circumstances but it’s a bit difficult to tell what they are.

I did a little test with a very fine grid setting (0.01mm) and the kinks seem to snap out into straight lines if the alignment error is < 0.1mm.
If you’re working on acourser grid, then you may not be able to get within this 0.1mm.

Even when you have never used a fine grid setting, the Interactive router can push trace segments off grid.

I agree. It worked also for me just now for a specific track, but not for another one :wink: Anyway, not a big deal as I can use Edit / Clean in last resort. Thanks to all.

I think I have found how it works: drag one of the segments and move the cursor along the segment up to the break point (or past the break point, I’m not sure)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.