How to customize BOM generation?

Hi,
I added a field called DigikeyPN to the parts on my schematic and I’d like it to appear in the BOM report generated by Fabrication Outputs in PCBNew. I searched the help for BOM and didn’t find anything. Is there a way to customize what fields go in the BOM report?
Thanks,
Lloyd

My version info:
Application: Pcbnew
Version: (5.1.9)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.71.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1g (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh2/1.9.0 nghttp2/1.41.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Unfortunately you can’t in v5.1.9 because only the Ref’D and the Value fields are loaded by PCBNew. That extra field doesn’t exist in the data the PCBNew uses.

You will have to use the BOM generator in EESchema, or open the Tools/Edit Symbol Fields... menu in EESchema to clipboard-copy and then paste into your favorite spreadsheet program.

Thank you so much SembazuruCDE! The edit symbol field command is perfect! It shows all the data, lets me copy it to the clipboard, and also lets me know when parts with the same name have different part numbers (by showing an ellipsis).

And I didn’t know about the BOM generator tool in EESchema. Seems like if I knew some Python I could customize one of those translators.

Thanks again,
Lloyd

Glad it helped. Another option that you might want to consider is the 3rd party plugin Interactive HTML BOM. This plug in is great when assembling your board. It also has a button to copy the BOM table to the clipboard so you can paste it into your favorite spreadsheet in preparation to ordering.

That looks very helpful. I’ll try it when things slow down some. Thanks again.

Lloyd

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.