How to create Pictures for a report

Hi guys,

first of all: if I ask again a common question, I’m sorry. I used the search function before but didn’t find an answer.

My question: I want to write a longer report and need some schematics for it. I have made the schematics with KiCad. Now I want to export the schematics, ideally as a PDF.

But the plot function always plots an enormous amount of white space around a rather small circuit. It seems like KiCad always draws the whole sheet. Is there a better way?

Many greetings and thanks for your help.

How about plot to SVG without the drawing sheet at the bottom right, then you can scale and export it however you want for your report.

It’s the same. A small schematic and large white canvas. I use Windows 11, can it be that there is a bug?

How about choosing a small sheet template?

If the schematic is small enough just zoom in and take a screenshot.

When I open the SVG in Inkscape I can select just the drawing without the frame and then render it in any resolution as SVG is a vector format. So maybe you need the tools to deal with SVG.

I agree with retiredfeline here. First plot the whole thing to a vector fromat from KiCad, and then use some drawing editor to beautify the output.

Well, I found another issue. I can plot a SVG but the SVG plots each text more than one time. It seems there is no pattern. Sometimes I get the same text three or four times, plottet on top of each other but with a slight offset.

So I’m going to use screenshots for now and write some bug tickets for the future.

@gmc I prefer PDFs or SVGs. These formats scale better.

Thanks you for your help.

tried but I just learned that I already used a small template. :slight_smile:

Verify first that the text is only present once in the schematic itself.
Some time ago there was a user here who had trouble with duplicated parts on the PCB, and I discovered the cause was that a hierarchical sheet was inserted twice in the schematic, but with the same coordinates, and this was hard to see in the schematic.

@paulvdh Good advice. I double checked: The text appears two times in the SVG. Even for a new symbol. But I will enrich the bug ticket. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.