How to create new footprint generator?

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

I’d like to create a footprint generator, similar to the Circular Pad Array generator that currently exists. I’d like to create a Linear Pad Array generator, that would work on regularly spaced rows and columns, similar to the BGA Ball Grid Array generator, only using through-hole pads.

Where does the code to create footprint generators live? Can users create additional footprint generators?

Thanks for any advice or guidance.

-Kevin

KiCAD 7.0

On my Linux box the (Python) scripts are in / usr / share / kicad / scripting / plugins, and most are below 10kB (200 lines).

@paulvdh, thanks so much for your quick and very helpful reply.

Yeah, I think I could use these scripts as a model for what I want to do. However, for the specific case I was working on, I discovered that the SIP/DIP wizard could create a 1x5 grid of through hole pads quickly and easily.

Thanks, again, for your help.

-Kevin

Hi @kevinz

There are now “Create Array” functions built into Kicad for both circular and linear arrays.

To find and use these functions:
Open Footprint Editor, create a single unit of whatever you wish to form an array;
Then, Right Mouse click on that item, choose Create from Selection, choose Create Array.

Thanks, @jmk, I wasn’t aware of that functionality at all. I’ll try it out. Thank you to the developers who included it.

-Kevin

1 Like

Yeah, it’s well hidden, and not much documentation. Like much of Kicad, you need to go digging for buried treasures. :rofl:

I’m not sure if it was new for 7 or 8.