How to connect complex footprint to net?

I can generate a complex footprint by either combination of arcs and pads, or bitmap2component, but how do I connect to a net. I tried editing the .kicad_mod file to include a net defintion on the line for each arc, but this throws an error. Is it possible?

Nets can only be assigned to pads directly. Connected traces automatically inherit the net from the pad(s).

Graphical elements (text, arcs, circles, lines…), even if on a copper layer, cannot be assigned a net.

Whatever complex structure you create on a copper layer, there must always be a valid pad connected to it, most easily done by placing the pad(s) right inside a solid copper area of said structure.

Thanks. I have pads inside the copper area, but the non-pads copper does not connect to the pads/net, so this prevents copper fill from connecting.

So you are saying there is no workaround?

As an attempted workaround, I have replaced the arcs with lots of pads to mostly fill the area, which sort of works. Very tedious and result is not perfect.

The only things that kicad recognizes as copper are pads and tracks. Anything else you put on there will be ignored (DRC, copper pour…).

The safest way in that regard is to simplify complex structures and approximate with pads. If you don’t need any copper pour connections, using bitmap2component may be OK (e.g. for specially shaped contacts for rubber push-buttons, capacitive sliders…).

Arbitrary pad shapes definitely need to go on the wishlist.