How to check dimensions or form factor of a symbol in KiCad lib?

Hi everyone,
I need to include some male and female connectors in my schematics. In KiCad symbol lib there are a number of connector symbols available but I somehow seem to be missing the dimensions and/or form factor of the connectors offered.

Example: Say, I wish to include a 10-pin male connector in my schematic. One symbol offered by KiCad lib is “Conn_01 x 10_Male”. So far so good, but how do I know what pin-pitch, length, width and hight this connector has?

Without this information it would be difficult not only to dimension the PCB but also to order parts .
How/where can I find this kind of info?
I think I am overlooking something. Can someone help, please?

Thanks and best regards
starter99

I would decide on the part first, then get the footprint, then find the symbol.

The generic symbols like “Conn…” don’t have specific parts defined; you can use any connector with the right number of pins.

1 Like

Symbols and footprints are separate concepts in Kicad. That connector symbol can be associated with any suitable footprint from the tiniest to the largest. And a range of other attributes.

Symbols abstract the function of a part. The function of a connector is unrelated to the exact mechanical dimensions. This is why one does not necessarily need a specialized symbol for a generic connector. (A symbol for things like a usb connector is something different. But even here a generic symbol is enough)

More details see What is the difference between footprints and symbols?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.