How to change corner mode during wire placement?

I just started experimenting with KiCad. I want to know what shortcut key or mouse action causes the wire corner mode to toggle between (1) “straight segment first” and (2) “right angle corner first” modes. For example, if you want to connect the resistor to the capacitor, there are two ways to draw a right angle wire.

For people familiar with Eagle schematic editor, this can achieved by right-clicking during wire placement which cycles through different corner styles including (1) and (2) described above. What I have found in EEschema is that the wire placement follows your mouse path. So again, is there a way to toggle between the wire corner placement modes or am I missing something? Thanks!

I just closed up KiCAD but I don’t remember ever thinking about this. I think if you start the trace and left click it kinda pegs it in the direction it is going.

1 Like

It depends on the first mouse move, ie. after you start the wire (left click or W key), the direction you first move the mouse locks the style.

If you first move the mouse to the right KiCad draws like (1)
If you first move the mouse down KiCad draws as (2)

There is no key or menu option that I know of.

4 Likes

Yes, exactly. I need to left click to peg the direction of the wire. I was just trying to determine if there was a way to hover the mouse at the end-point and cycle through the two corner modes. Thank you for giving the clarification.

Thank you for your help. It is comforting for me to know that I was not missing an obvious shortcut.

The [shift]+[?] key shows available shortcuts.

2 Likes

I’m still learning new tricks :open_mouth:

Good,I am also interested to learn this.