How to assign net classes

Hello,
I have a filled zone. I would like to set different clearances to other nets. I already defined a net class for a net I would like to have larger clearance to, but I cannot figure out how to use the net class. I found an old topic: ( How to quickly assign the net class for a selected nets? ) but that doesn’t work for me.
Best regards
Stefan

A similar dialog is in the PCB editor where the top part deals with track widths, etc. but the description of assignment is in one place and a link is used in the PCB editor docs.

In addition to the options in the linked kicad-documentation (use netclass-dialog or use graphical netclass-label directive) there is a third option:

• first label your net with a name (local label, global label, hierarchical label, anything except the automatic generated names)
  • than RMB-click that named net → context menu → Assign netclass
    This generates automatically a entry into the netclass-assignment table in the netclass-dialog-window

If you later on want different clearances from one netclass to other netclasses (not only one generic netclass clearance value from the board setup–>Design rules–>netclass constraint table):

• there is no tool like the netclass clearance matrix from eagle
  • you have to use the “board setup–>Design rules–>custom rules” and write indiviual rules for clearances between different netclasses.
  • a good starting point are the rules-examples: click on “syntax help”-link in the custom rules dialog. For you the rule “rule HV_HV” may be a good starting point and could be modified to your needs.

The third option is in the docs too :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.