How to assign JST footprint to connector

Hi,

I have created a schematic with a 2 pin generic connector Conn_01x02.
Now I would like to assign a JST XH 2 pin 2.54mm connector to it. Although my KiCad 5.0.0 on Ubuntu has Connector_JST footprints under /usr/share/kicad/modules, in eeschema edit/assign footprint opens up a windows, where I can’t find it. There are some instructions out there but whole KiCad system is confusing (I am not coming from Eagle). I am learning electronics and KiCad is the first software I started to use.
Is it true that there are separately symbol libraries (for schematics) and footprint libraries for PCB footprints? If then, why some footprints are shown and some are not?

Thanks,
SarenT

Did you already read this faq article? How can i assign a footprint to a symbol?

I actually read many articles/questions and the wiki but some seem to be conflicting or not addressing my question at all. In any of the three solutions listed in the link, Connector_JST footprints don’t show up among the footprint libraries.

You need to add libraries to the so called footprint library table for them to be found by kicad.
Did you ever run pcb_new or the footprint editor since you installed kicad? (The library table is setup when you run one of these tools for the first time.)

You can also take a look at this faq article to find out how to install footprint libraries: How can i install a specific version of the footprint library?

(You can skip the download step and directly add the libs that you already found using the library editor.)

Was version 4 ever installed on your pc in the past? If so then maybe this will explain your problems: I had KiCad 4 installed previosly. Now i updated to v5. Now i have some problems with the library setup

1 Like

Hi Rene,
Thanks it worked! I wonder why KiCad doesn’t automatically load all the libraries it already includes.
Anyhow, thanks for the assistance.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.