How to add more layers?

I must be missing something so simple. I have been messing with the software for a few months now. Want to make a board I have been working on a 4 layer board. I have seen some videos and pulled up documentation that mentions going into the design rules menu and then layer setup. I am blind as I am not finding this anywhere? Quick help please. Thanks.

What version are you using ? v4, v5, or nightly ?

If v5, check the Setup / Layer setup item.
If (recent) nightly, check the File / Board setup dialog (item Layers)

You can also check Chris Gammell’s video on this topic:

1 Like

Nightly, and just found it as you replied.

I switched to nightly not realizing that menu item had moved and I sat on camera (during an unpublished take) just looking stupid trying to figure out WHAT I was doing wrong. So yeah, that’s when I started calling out that 5.1 will be different during videos like the one above :slight_smile:

Yea 5.1 has a completely new user interface. I would say most things that are not buttons in the toolchain have changed completely. (And there are even some new buttons.)

For anybody interested where this is in nightly: look under file-> board setup. This tool contains everything that is set for the board on the project level. Meaning all DRC related stuff, layer setup, clearances, net-classes and even default settings for text and line tools per layer.

The new Board Setup configuration is really nice! It was what I noticed most when I switched to the nightlies.

One small thing I noticed is I tried to swap two inner layers, GND and VCC, and couldn’t just rename them. I had to rename GND -> GNDtmp, VCC -> GND, GNDtmp -> VCC. Otherwise the first rename fails because there is already a VCC…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.